cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why Does My Camera Stop Recording in the Middle of a Video??

Kre8ivOne
Contributor

Why does my Rebel T3i stop recording in the middle of me video taping?? Is it because I do not have enough space on my camera for a video? It lets me take plenty more pictures. And when it stops in the middle of a recording, I start recording again, and it works for a little while then stops again! I really don't get it. It is extremely frustrating because I am left with all these chopped up video segments and I completely miss something that my baby is doing (the reason I started taping in the first place!) I am begining to wonder if I should just invest in a video camera instead of taping with my camera. I would REALLY prefer not to, seeing as how I spent a fortune on it, and would like it to do what it is intended to do! Can someone please help?? 

17 REPLIES 17

I have never had that experience, and I have more than 4GB on my cards at any given time.  All I know is that my video problems went away when I switched to Class 10 and I also use either a 16GB or a 32GB card nearly all the time.  *shrug*

Check page 283 of the T3i manual.

You can have several files on your sd card which totally exceed 4 gb but you can not have a single file bigger than 4 gb.

Depending on the resolution and other parameters you are using is how long it will record before it reaches 4 gb.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Well again - the OP didn't mention a time involved; only that her camera stopped recording in the middle of a video. I never have clips  more than 3-5 minutes long at a time so that's why I did not experience it. I did however experience the camera shutting off every 30 seconds or so, which is what I assumed was happening with the OP. The Class 10 card took care of it and it's never shut down on me since I started using the Class 10 card (unless of course I use up the battery.) Man Tongue

I certainly didn't intend to turn this into an argument. 

You can have more than 4GB worth of stuff on the card in mutliple files, you just can't have a single file which exceeds 4GB.  That's a filesystem limitation.  The camera would have to close one file and start a new file to keep going.

It's also fair to say that if for any reason the card doesn't keep up with the write speed, it'll stop the recording (the camera doesn't really have much choice -- the card refuses to take the data as fast as the frames are being captured.)  So it's a good idea to use quality cards -- I'd probably stick with the better  SanDisk or Lexar brand cards.  This is one area where trying to save money is risky and not likely worth it.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

okay..so about this 29.38 minute thingy..i acc just done that, and now my camera wont record anything at all..but, i have also tried removing all my photos and videos off the camera and it still wont record even though the SD card is empty...what do i do?

I strongly suggest that you start a new thread for you issue.  It's bad form to revive an old thread with issues of your own, even if they are related.  I would liken it to photo bombing someone who is taking a selfie.

Here's why "photo bombing" someone else's thread is bad.  If the original author has emailed enabled on their original post, then your coming along and reviving the thread with your own issue causes the original author to receive email about your issue, instead of their own. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

I strongly suggest that you start a new thread for you issue.  It's bad form to revive an old thread with issues of your own, even if they are related.  I would liken it to photo bombing someone who is taking a selfie.

Here's why "photo bombing" someone else's thread is bad.  If the original author has emailed enabled on their original post, then your coming along and reviving the thread with your own issue causes the original author to receive email about your issue, instead of their own. 

Welll ...  If that's the worst thing that happens to the original author today, he probably won't mind all that much.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

It is good ettiquette in technically oriented forums to start your own thread for your own issue.  This makes it easier for users to search for solutions on previous threads, without having to scroll threw dozens of replies just to find an answer that they were not looking for.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements