Did you mean: 

White Balance seems to shift

larryj
Apprentice

Mark 111 changes white balance for no reason at all, on the same pic

7 REPLIES 7

hsbn
Whiz

There is nothing strange to it. Different part of the photo can have different color temperature. Thus, the white balance is different for each of those part. This happen a lot if you shoot indoor with mix outdoor light.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

thank you

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Easily correctable in post.  Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ScottyP
Authority
I am not familiar with your particular camera, but if your camera has WB settings and/or shoots RAW:

I assume you are set to auto white balance? If you want a bit more consistency, pick a white balance that matches your location (shade, sun, cloudy, fluorescent, etc.).

Also shoot RAW instead of, or in addition to, JPEG. You have so much more ability to correct WB in RAW there's just no comparison.

Also shoot
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

I have tryed to use the different setting but still does not act like my 50d using same lens. this camera is a 5d mark111 . THANkS I will try more RAW

@larryj wrote:

Mark 111 changes white balance for no reason at all, on the same pic

Balancing off the color temperatures of competing light sources is difficult for any camera. But my impression is that my Mark III does at least as good a job of it as any other camera I've owned. If you shoot RAW, you can always overrule the camera with a photo editor.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Larry, you don't mention your shooting conditions, or whether or not you use auto WB.  Auto WB will change constantly, every time the camera meters a shot, and can change dramatically if you're in mixed lighting, or there are color casts or whatnot.  Also, flourescent lights actually change colors themselves.  So you could shoot the same composition in a quick burst and have significantly different WB and even exposure.

Announcements