cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which camera to bring to Europe and Iceland ?

huskyC
Enthusiast

I purchased a 6D a few months back. I have a few lenses that I could use for my trip : EF 24 105L (version I), EF 17 40L, Panacke 40mm F2.8 and 50mm F1.8 STM.

There is another camera that I can use. A very close family member suggested to lend me his gears. He has a 7D mark II with a Sigma 17 50 F2.8, EFS 24 F2.8, EFS 10 18mm IS STM and EFS 55 250 IS STM.

I will be travelling to Paris and Iceland in September. I have purchased a promotion air ticket and I have only limited space in my carry-on to pack my camera gear. I thus have to decide which camera to bring.

I think my 6D has better image quality. 7D II has better built and the 55 250 at its long end is 400mm equivalent. The UWA with IS is good too. The Sigma will cover the mid range and it is 2.8 and image stabilized but I am not sure about it and it may be a bit heavy.

A combination of one camera body of the above and a few lenses will also be good too. I shoot stills and I have a nice smartphone for short video clips etc.

PLease kindly advise.

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7

@huskyC wrote:

I purchased a 6D a few months back. I have a few lenses that I could use for my trip : EF 24 105L (version I), EF 17 40L, Panacke 40mm F2.8 and 50mm F1.8 STM.

There is another camera that I can use. A very close family member suggested to lend me his gears. He has a 7D mark II with a Sigma 17 50 F2.8, EFS 24 F2.8, EFS 10 18mm IS STM and EFS 55 250 IS STM.

I will be travelling to Paris and Iceland in September. I have purchased a promotion air ticket and I have only limited space in my carry-on to pack my camera gear. I thus have to decide which camera to bring.

I think my 6D has better image quality. 7D II has better built and the 55 250 at its long end is 400mm equivalent. The UWA with IS is good too. The Sigma will cover the mid range and it is 2.8 and image stabilized but I am not sure about it and it may be a bit heavy.

A combination of one camera body of the above and a few lenses will also be good too. I shoot stills and I have a nice smartphone for short video clips etc.

PLease kindly advise.

Thanks

I'd say bring the 7D2 with the Sigma, the 24-105, and the 10-18. In the unlikely event that you have extra space, you could add the 55-250. It's a "nice to have", but for the kind of photography you'll likely be doing, I suspect you can do without the extra reach. Leave the primes at home; they duplicate focal lengths you'll already have and would just take up space.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I would take the 6D with the 24-105mm, 50mm, and a Canon flash.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I'd say bring the 7D2 with the Sigma, the 24-105, and the 10-18."

Totally agree.  Forget the 55-250mm and all the primes.

"I think my 6D has better image quality."

No not really.  It may gain you a little high ISO ability perhaps not.

If you are extremely limited on space or airline restrictions go with the Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM Zoom Lens.  It is optimized for APS-C sensors like the 7 series.  Leave the rest home.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

John_SD
Whiz

SInce you will be in Iceland in September, you defintely want to take a wide-angle lens so you can shoot the Northern Lights. Doesn't matter wich of the cameras you bring, but pack that wide-angle lens.

@John_SD wrote:

SInce you will be in Iceland in September, you defintely want to take a wide-angle lens so you can shoot the Northern Lights. Doesn't matter wich of the cameras you bring, but pack that wide-angle lens.

Oh, yes, it does make a difference. The WA lens is EF-S and will not work on a 6D.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@John_SD wrote:

Oh, yes, it does make a difference. The WA lens is EF-S and will not work on a 6D.

You don't say. 

Even the Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM Zoom Lens is 7D only.  But it is a good DC lens.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements