cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is causing vignette effect on my images?

PinewoodPhoto
Apprentice

Hello, looking for suggestions to correct the vignette effect from my new lens. I currently have an EOS-R mirrorless body. I just purchased a Canon RF 15-30mm f/4.5-6.3 IS STM Lens. Both full frame compatibility. First time using this, many of my images have dark corners but not all. I am not using anything that would cause a physical vignette such as a hood or filter. After reading a few articles, it appears this could be caused by the aperture. Although this can be adjusted in processing, I'm disappointed this is happening. Any suggestions on what I can do to prevent this- or is this just a part of the process with this lens?  Any other camera settings that might help this? My camera is set to full frame. Thank you!

5 REPLIES 5

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

@PinewoodPhoto wrote:

Hello, looking for suggestions to correct the vignette effect from my new lens. I currently have an EOS-R mirrorless body. I just purchased a Canon RF 15-30mm f/4.5-6.3 IS STM Lens. Both full frame compatibility. First time using this, many of my images have dark corners but not all. I am not using anything that would cause a physical vignette such as a hood or filter. After reading a few articles, it appears this could be caused by the aperture. Although this can be adjusted in processing, I'm disappointed this is happening. Any suggestions on what I can do to prevent this- or is this just a part of the process with this lens?  Any other camera settings that might help this? My camera is set to full frame. Thank you!

Where are you seeing the vignette? Some RF lenses rely on digital correction in camera or in Canon DPP. If you are using a third-party software that may be the issue.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

Thank you for this! I am using third party software for editing. I will check to see if this could be the issue. My 50mm prime has never had this happen, so seems specific to this lens. 

From The Digital Picture site review of the lens:

"A lens can be expected to show peripheral shading at the widest aperture settings when used on a camera that utilizes a lens's entire image circle. This lens has wide-open aperture shading ranging from about 3.5 stops at 15mm to just under 3 stops at 30mm. While these amounts are not unusual from a wide-open aperture, they are obvious in an image. At f/8, the shading range is 2.5 to 2 stops, and little change is affected by stopping down to f/16, where a still strong over 2 stops of shading is present over the range. The exception is at 30mm, where the amount is slightly lower — just under 2 stops."

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

John pointed out solutions for correcting vignetting on lenses which may require correction for best image quality.

Check your editing software to see if it has a lens profile for the RF 15-30 f4.5-6.3.

If it doesn't Canon's DPP does.  

You can also enable Peripheral Illumination correction in body as he mentioned.

See page 343:

eosr-ug9-en.pdf (c-wss.com)

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Great suggestions, really appreciate it!

Announcements