cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What camera to get??

Sunnybag745
Contributor

So I have been shooting with a canon t6 for as long as its been out, and Im not running into many problems with it now so I think its time for an upgrade. Ive been looking around and narrowed on the 7d mark ii and 80d.  I currently shoot a lot of landscape, (less)portraits, street, travel, and (less)long exposures with a good amount of sports. I really need tac on focus that doesnt miss too, much because ive had way too much misses with the t6. I want the build to be there as well cause I really can't baby this as much especially on hikes, but I dont want image quality to suffer greatly because of this. Another thing I am looking for is good video quallity I am aware that all of these cameras shoot full 1080p at 60 frames (and the 7d wont focus during video in 60), Im looking for the quality to be better than the t6 as much as possible. Ive read some other forums and reviews on both and I am kind of leaning towards the 7d, but am worried about image quality, especially in video but both video and photo and at lower ISOs, will I be getting that much better image quality, dynamic range, etc with the 80d or for things like video can I bring a lot back in post. Overall I would like to see much better results for things that I need it for that the t6 really doesnt do which I guessing all of these do, as well as low light but im not as critical over that, but would like to see good ISO performance. Also if you have any other recomendations that would be great too:).

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Whereas the T6 is considered an entry-level DSLR, the 80D is the latest in the mid-range line.  

The 7D II is in a higher pro level tier and is the only APS-C sensor Canon body in that category.  As such, it typically is ruggedized beyond any of the Rebel or xxD series bodies (like the 80D).  It also has dual DIGIC 6 processors to help it muscle through shooting and image processing in a hurry.  You'll find it has faster focus, framerate, etc.

With all that said (and it sounds impressive)... the 80D came out later.  The 7D II has been out for a few years.  So there are some innovations in the 80D that put it nearly on-par and in some features are even fractionally ahead (but other features are fractionally behind) the 7D II.

This means there's no easy "this one is better" answer.

When you talked about shooting a good amount of sports, tac-on-focus, and body that doesn't have to be babied on hikes, etc.  That's all the domain of the 7D II.  

The 7D II is *fractionally* less noisy than the 80D.  At lower ISO you wont notice any difference.  At very high ISO there seems to be a small difference.

I used DPreview's ability to compare images:

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-eos-80d-review/11

I set one camera to the 80D, the other to the 7D II.  I move the target location (there's a large image on top with a very tiny square that you can move around to any location in the image.  That identical location will show up in the comparison of the two cameras you pick in the boxes below.

I set the image to RAW (it defaults to JPEG ... but I want to see native sensor noise and not what the in-camera de-noising does when converting to JPEG.  I tend to shoot RAW and de-noise on the computer.)  

Then I start nudging up the ISO levels and comparing the images.  

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

View solution in original post

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@Sunnybag745 wrote:

I really need tac on focus that doesnt miss too, much because ive had way too much misses with the t6. I want the build to be there as well cause I really can't baby this as much especially on hikes, but I dont want image quality to suffer greatly because of this. Another thing I am looking for is good video quallity I am aware that all of these cameras shoot full 1080p at 60 frames (and the 7d wont focus during video in 60), 

What lenses are you currently using?  Are you still shooting with the lenses that came in the T6 camera kit?

The best way to improve the quality and sharpness in your image, and the best way to invest your money in your gear, is to buy high quality lenses.  The quality of your images will never be any better than the quality of your lenses.

If you are still shooting with the T6 kit lenses, then you really want to consider a lens upgrade, too, not just a body upgrade.  While the T6 is a body that is quickly outgrown by any photo enthusiast, you really want to have at least one quality lens in your bag, no matter which camera body you are using.

Rethink your upgrade options.  I have taken hundreds of great photos with a T5, but not until I upgraded from the kit lenses.  You have a tough choice ahead of you.  I had also learned a lot DSLRs, and realized my lenses were holding me back more so than the camera body.  The shot below was taken with a T5 and a Rokinon 14mm T3.1 cinema lens.

3DC3741F-96FA-4F81-9F81-62142CE5E451.jpeg

By that time, I had figured out that if I used One Shot focusing mode, then I got the best results with using just the center AF point and Single Shot drive mode.  If I wanted to use AI Servo, then I got the best results with all AF points active, and using Continuous Shooting mode.  The same is generally true on more expensive camera bodies, too.

Judging from the variety of things you described that you like to photograph, I think the EF 17-40mm f/4L IS USM, EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II/III USM, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, or the EF 24-70mm f/2.8L IS II USM, are good choices as a general purpose zoom.

If you are interested in sports, then I would recommend a Canon 70-200mm, preferably one of the f/2.8 models with IS.  In fact, you really cannot go wrong with any Canon zoom with a constant f/2.8 aperture, for that matter.  You will find any of thes lenses would be good matches for any Canon DSLR that you would choose as an upgrade.

———————————————————————-

I like to take hikes in the woods, too.  I do not like to carry a “naked camera” on a strap.  I carry my camera in a Lowepro Top Loader Holster, which protects my gear from bumps and bangs.  Besides, a hard camera banging and bumping on my body as I walk is not very comfortable, IMHO.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Whereas the T6 is considered an entry-level DSLR, the 80D is the latest in the mid-range line.  

The 7D II is in a higher pro level tier and is the only APS-C sensor Canon body in that category.  As such, it typically is ruggedized beyond any of the Rebel or xxD series bodies (like the 80D).  It also has dual DIGIC 6 processors to help it muscle through shooting and image processing in a hurry.  You'll find it has faster focus, framerate, etc.

With all that said (and it sounds impressive)... the 80D came out later.  The 7D II has been out for a few years.  So there are some innovations in the 80D that put it nearly on-par and in some features are even fractionally ahead (but other features are fractionally behind) the 7D II.

This means there's no easy "this one is better" answer.

When you talked about shooting a good amount of sports, tac-on-focus, and body that doesn't have to be babied on hikes, etc.  That's all the domain of the 7D II.  

The 7D II is *fractionally* less noisy than the 80D.  At lower ISO you wont notice any difference.  At very high ISO there seems to be a small difference.

I used DPreview's ability to compare images:

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-eos-80d-review/11

I set one camera to the 80D, the other to the 7D II.  I move the target location (there's a large image on top with a very tiny square that you can move around to any location in the image.  That identical location will show up in the comparison of the two cameras you pick in the boxes below.

I set the image to RAW (it defaults to JPEG ... but I want to see native sensor noise and not what the in-camera de-noising does when converting to JPEG.  I tend to shoot RAW and de-noise on the computer.)  

Then I start nudging up the ISO levels and comparing the images.  

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Yeah, TCampbell is right. If your budget is around 2000-2500$, then Canon EOS 7D Mark II is the best camera for you. and If you are beginner and want to buy something easy to use product, then must go for Canon EOS 80D.

Thankyou,

Vidmate

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
If video is important to you, then forget about the 7D2. It cannot auto focus when shooting video, also called Movie Servo AF.

The 80D can auto focus and track faces in video mode.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Also if you have any other recomendations that would be great too"

The truth of the matter is, you will be happy with either, the 80D or the 7D Mk II.  Each will have a slightly better 'something' over the other.  But in the end and real use both will do what you want.  The one thing I noticed you said is you want better build.  That means the 7D Mk II.  It is head and shoulders better than the xxD line.

Whichever camera you decide on check out the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens.  It will make a real big upgrade unless you already have it.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

inkjunkie
Enthusiast

Relatively new to the photography world. I started with a 40D. Wanted something to do video...bought a T7i. While it shot video it was pretty miserable in low light stuff, I spend time at the local race track and like taking night shots. Bought a 5DIV. Blown away at its low light capabilities. Wanted a second vbody to avoid multiple lens changes, wanted to be able to take shots from down track a bit as well as side shots from the starting area. Got a 7DII.  Great camera...until the sun set and the track lights came on. With the 5DIV shooting at 25600 with the apertire maxed out at 2.8 (and blinking) the images clean up very nicely. 7DII...well..don't remember what the maximum ISO is when it is on auto but the images were just to noisy for me. 

My mentor was selling a 1DX, couldn't turn it down. Couple its high frame rate with outstanding low light capabilities...and well...

Point to my ramble....really put a TON of thought/research into your purchase. I would be lost without the low light capabilities of the 5DIV/1DX. The lenses I use all the time, Sigma 24/70,  Canon 70-200, Sigma 120-300 all are f/2.8 lenses. 

Apologies for rambling 

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@Sunnybag745 wrote:

I really need tac on focus that doesnt miss too, much because ive had way too much misses with the t6. I want the build to be there as well cause I really can't baby this as much especially on hikes, but I dont want image quality to suffer greatly because of this. Another thing I am looking for is good video quallity I am aware that all of these cameras shoot full 1080p at 60 frames (and the 7d wont focus during video in 60), 

What lenses are you currently using?  Are you still shooting with the lenses that came in the T6 camera kit?

The best way to improve the quality and sharpness in your image, and the best way to invest your money in your gear, is to buy high quality lenses.  The quality of your images will never be any better than the quality of your lenses.

If you are still shooting with the T6 kit lenses, then you really want to consider a lens upgrade, too, not just a body upgrade.  While the T6 is a body that is quickly outgrown by any photo enthusiast, you really want to have at least one quality lens in your bag, no matter which camera body you are using.

Rethink your upgrade options.  I have taken hundreds of great photos with a T5, but not until I upgraded from the kit lenses.  You have a tough choice ahead of you.  I had also learned a lot DSLRs, and realized my lenses were holding me back more so than the camera body.  The shot below was taken with a T5 and a Rokinon 14mm T3.1 cinema lens.

3DC3741F-96FA-4F81-9F81-62142CE5E451.jpeg

By that time, I had figured out that if I used One Shot focusing mode, then I got the best results with using just the center AF point and Single Shot drive mode.  If I wanted to use AI Servo, then I got the best results with all AF points active, and using Continuous Shooting mode.  The same is generally true on more expensive camera bodies, too.

Judging from the variety of things you described that you like to photograph, I think the EF 17-40mm f/4L IS USM, EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II/III USM, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, or the EF 24-70mm f/2.8L IS II USM, are good choices as a general purpose zoom.

If you are interested in sports, then I would recommend a Canon 70-200mm, preferably one of the f/2.8 models with IS.  In fact, you really cannot go wrong with any Canon zoom with a constant f/2.8 aperture, for that matter.  You will find any of thes lenses would be good matches for any Canon DSLR that you would choose as an upgrade.

———————————————————————-

I like to take hikes in the woods, too.  I do not like to carry a “naked camera” on a strap.  I carry my camera in a Lowepro Top Loader Holster, which protects my gear from bumps and bangs.  Besides, a hard camera banging and bumping on my body as I walk is not very comfortable, IMHO.

Sunnybag745
Contributor
Thanks for the feedback. Yea I ran into that last year so decided to buy a 85 1.4. I currently use that 85, a 17-55 f2.8, and a 100 f2.8

"Yea I ran into that last year ..."

Ran into what?

"... I currently use that 85 (f1.4), a 17-55 f2.8, and a 100 f2.8."

Nice bag should serve you well.  Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Joel4JC
Contributor

"...street, travel, and (less)long exposures with a good amount of sports..."

I would go with the 7D Mark II, it is more rugged than the 80D, which will stand up to being knocked around while traveling and being in the mix of sports photography. The 7D has better weather sealing and faster fps continuous shooting. 

I do sports and motorsports photography as well, and that extra fps will really come in handy to capture that exact "Decisive Moment"!

Announcements