cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Washed out photos EOS 70D with a Macro Ring Lite MR-14EXII

kcmrgn213
Apprentice

Hi, I'm not familiar with cameras and flashes, so please be patient with me.  

At work, we use an EOS70D with a Macro Ring Lite MR-14EXII flash.  We use this mainly for full face photos and up close photos of patient smiles, bite, etc. 

Recently, the photos have been washed out.  I don't know if the settings have been changed or what.  I got it wo where the full face photo is no longer washed out but the up close photos still are.  Any idea what the settings on the camera and/or flash need to be?  We usually use the P setting for the full face and change to the C setting for the smile/mouth photos.  Thanks!

8 REPLIES 8

deebatman316
Elite
Elite

When you say "C" setting do you mean C1, C2 & C3 on the top mode dial. How often are the shots overexposed. I would recommend resetting the camera back to factory default and custom functions back to factory default. Or you can test the camera out in Full Automatic (Green Square) mode. This setting ignores ALL custom functions that have been set. What lenses are you using. Please post the FULL NAME of the lenses being used. Does the Macro Ring Lite say E-TTL in the top left corner of the LCD screen. If it says TTL the flash will always fire at full output ONLY. If it does say TTL that means the Macro Ring Lite and your camera aren't communicating correctly. Or does it say something else there. E-TTL is basically auto mode for the flash. MR-14EX II Macro Flash Manual Link EOS 70D Manual Link 

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

on the dial on the camera, we only have "C," not C1, C2, or C3.  Our dial has P, A+, no flash, CA, SCN, C, B, M, Av, Tv.  Our shots just started being overexposed and it is all of them.  Even when I take a picture in the green A+ it is washed out. Our lens is an Ultrasonic 100mm, Macro lens EF 100mm 1:2.8 USM.  The ring lite does say ETTL in the top left corner.  We've had this camera for years and every now and then it does this and usually the settings get messed with and I can figure it out, but I haven't been able to figure it out this time.  (Sorry I didn't take the camera home last night- Thanks for replying 🙂 )  

Test the camera in Full Auto mode. To see if the camera is still overexposed pictures. If it does not Flash Exposure Compensation has been added. This can only be done in M, Av, TV & P Modes.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

No matter what setting I have it on, I'm getting overexposure.  How do I reset to factory? Unfortunately the girl that knows all about the camera no longer works here.  

And the flash is on and working in every mode.  The only time I can get them to not be overexposed is a full face without flash. 

It sounds like flash exposure compensation has been dialed in on either the camera or on the macro ring light.

-Demetrius

To reset the EOS 70D to factory settings, refer to page 61 of the User Manual.

To also clear out all custom settings, refer to page 362.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Also clear out all of the speedlite's settings too. This can be done in camera with the Speedlite Control menu. Or on the macro ring lite itself through the LCD screen. The camera would need to be in (M, Av, Tv & P) modes to reset the macro ring lite back to factory default. 

-Demetrius

click here to view the gallery
Announcements