cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R6 Mark II Can See Shutter

Austincb
Apprentice

Hello, 

I am shooting this camera using high speed sync with the Westcott FJ400. Canon settings: Flash function settings are set to high speed sync, shutter mode mechanical and silent shutter function is off. The Westcott is set to HSS as well and is firing appropriately. When taking a vertical photograph I can see the shutter in the left portion of the frame. I'm unsure of how to correct this. 

4 REPLIES 4

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Does this mean issue only appears when you are using electronic shutter with HSS?

Does the issue appear at slower shutter speeds, without HSS modes?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I've seen numerous reports on this forum and online. That Westcott strobes have an incompatibility with EOS R series cameras. Also the electronic shutter is NOT compatible with flash photography. The strobe will NOT fire at all even with Canon's speedlites. Only the R3 supports flash photography with the electronic shutter.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

@deebatman316 wrote:

I've seen numerous reports on this forum and online. That Westcott strobes have an incompatibility with EOS R series cameras. Also the electronic shutter is NOT compatible with flash photography. The strobe will NOT fire at all even with Canon's speedlites. Only the R3 supports flash photography with the electronic shutter.

I was aware of those issues, but not the R3 was compatible.

My next question was going to be does this issue appear when the camera is rotated and you are NOT using a strobe?

If you using the electronic shutter, then why is the mechanical shutter flapping around when you rotate the camera?  Flash or no flash.  It should not matter.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

@deebatman316 wrote:

I was aware of those issues, but not the R3 was compatible.

My next question was going to be does this issue appear when the camera is rotated and you are NOT using a strobe?

If you using the electronic shutter, then why is the mechanical shutter flapping around when you rotate the camera?  Flash or no flash.  It should not matter.

I was aware of those issues, but not the R3 was compatible. The R3 uses a stacked sensor with a fast readout speed. That's why flash photography can be used with the electronic shutter. According to Canon only the Speedlite EL-1 can recharge fast enough to keep up with the electronic shutter. I'm not sure about the EL-5 though since it was released AFTER the EL-1. So Canon doesn't have up to date documents regarding it's compatibility with it. So I can't verify whether or not it does support it.

If you using the electronic shutter, then why is the mechanical shutter flapping around when you rotate the camera?  Flash or no flash.  It should not matter. Now that does seem strange. When the camera is set to use the electronic shutter. You shouldn't hear the mechanical shutter and it shouldn't be used at all. Only the electronic shutter should be used.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D
click here to view the gallery
Announcements