cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wandering focus point box. Model 700D (Rebel T5i)

mike21
Enthusiast

From time to time, including sometimes when I have just switched on, the rectangular focus point box on the LCD screen appears in the bottom left corner instead of centre - pressing.OK brings it back to the middle. When I press the AF point selection button (+) the ring of small blocks shows only the centre on lit up, which is as I wish. I usually use the viewfinder for shooting and am concerned that the focus point may not be in the centre - although it always shows it there - without me knowing. Settings are flexizone single, one shot, continuous AF. How can I ensure that this focus box movement does not occur - I do not think that I accidentally touch the LCD screen to cause it. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

mike21
Enthusiast
So long as the viewfinder focus is not affected I will put up with the wandering focus point on the LCD screen. It is just an irritation. Thanks to everyone.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

When the focus box shows up in the corner, what happens when you put the camera on a subject in the center and press half-way?

With the box in the corner when I press the button half way it stays in the same place and turns green, as I would expect. I cannot find a solution in the full manual or David Busch's field guide, although perhaps the solution is there but I'm just unable to see it.

I saw nothing in my T6S manual. I was kinda hoping that it showing up when you first turned on was a fluke and it would snap back when you tried to focus.

Looks like the bug is that it wanders around on its own. If you can't reliably reproduce it, it will be hard to track down.

@mike21 wrote:

From time to time, including sometimes when I have just switched on, the rectangular focus point box on the LCD screen appears in the bottom left corner instead of centre - pressing.OK brings it back to the middle. When I press the AF point selection button (+) the ring of small blocks shows only the centre on lit up, which is as I wish. I usually use the viewfinder for shooting and am concerned that the focus point may not be in the centre - although it always shows it there - without me knowing. Settings are flexizone single, one shot, continuous AF. How can I ensure that this focus box movement does not occur - I do not think that I accidentally touch the LCD screen to cause it. 

The user manual is your friend. If you don't have one for your camera, you can download it from the Canon Web site. Even if you do, it may be an abridged version; the one you download will be complete.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Actually, you can download the abridged version, too. You want the "Instruction Manual", not the "Basic Instruction Manual"

diverhank
Authority

I don't have a T5i camera and not any camera with me to verify but I think the LCD focus box and the viewfinder focus box are unrelated since the liveview focus and the regular focus are different.  On my non-touchable 7D Mark II, they are unrelated, I know that for sure.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

mike21
Enthusiast
So long as the viewfinder focus is not affected I will put up with the wandering focus point on the LCD screen. It is just an irritation. Thanks to everyone.

@mike21 wrote:

If you want to ensure the center focus point is always selected, then you need to use one of the Creative shooting modes, not one of the Basic shooting modes.  I suggest that you use "P" mode, which seems to be the best to learn how to use a Canon DSLR.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements