cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Video from EOS R3 won't play in Windows 10

focal
Apprentice

When I attempt to play a video clip taken with my EOS R3, the audio will play normally but the video will only display random snapshots of the video throughout the clip.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

After further investigating the problem I was having with 60 fps, I discovered that I somehow had graphics acceleration disabled in Nvidia Control Panel. After reenabling, it appears to have solved the problem. Thanks for your help though, you pretty much nailed the problem on the head.

I'm not all that knowledgeable as far as how a GPU directly affects the PC's ability to adequately display graphics, but the issue I was dealing with did give me an opportunity to order an upgrade for my graphics card from RTX 2070 to RTX 4080 Super as I still like to get into the latest games to see how that tech has evolved. Again, thanks for sharing your knowledge with me. It's much appreciated.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

focal
Apprentice

N/M, fixed it by dropping frame rate in half. I will make changes in-camera to 4K 29.97. The remaining clips have been converted via 3rd party software accordingly.

That’s fine if you desire your final output to have a frame rate of 29.97. But it sounds like your computer doesn’t have the horsepower for 59.94.

If you do need that frame rate, look in to proxy workflows.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

After further investigating the problem I was having with 60 fps, I discovered that I somehow had graphics acceleration disabled in Nvidia Control Panel. After reenabling, it appears to have solved the problem. Thanks for your help though, you pretty much nailed the problem on the head.

I'm not all that knowledgeable as far as how a GPU directly affects the PC's ability to adequately display graphics, but the issue I was dealing with did give me an opportunity to order an upgrade for my graphics card from RTX 2070 to RTX 4080 Super as I still like to get into the latest games to see how that tech has evolved. Again, thanks for sharing your knowledge with me. It's much appreciated.

Glad you call it all working!

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

AtticusLake
Mentor
Mentor

In general, video clips from a high-end camera like the R3 are not designed to be played directly on a PC; they are designed to be edited, and as such contain way more information than you would use for direct playback.  Your PC has trouble handling this (as does mine).

See this thread: https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/EOS-DSLR-Mirrorless-Cameras/Canon-R5-video-file-sizes-trouble-dow...

Announcements