cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vertical preview after shot - Canon R6

tekgirl02
Contributor

Hi all... I've been trying to figure this out to no avail.

After I take a vertical shot and want to view it in live view, the photo is horizontal, not vertical, and difficult to view. Anyone know how to change this? Thank you! I've tried all the settings and nothing send to work.

11 REPLIES 11

James_C

Hi Tekgirl02

So that the Community can help you better, we need to know exactly which Canon camera model you're using.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Oops sorry! I thought I had that... Canon R6 - thank you for letting me know.

stevet1
Whiz
Whiz

tekgirl02,

I have a T8i, and there is this cautionary note in the manual:

rotate.jpg

I think they will be rotated on your computer (depending on your image editing program), but not in the camera.

Steve Thomas

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

If you wish to view images captured in a portrait orientation in the camera, then I suggest that you rotate the camera,  

Then camera is capable of auto-rotating portrait images during Playback.  However, the images will seem small.  They will only fill approximately the center third of the rear LCD screen.  You will find yourself needing to zoom into the image to see it.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I can't do that on my tripod though. I mainly shoot Astro and often need to look at playback to make sure I am in focus. You are right though - on playback the images are small in portrait mode.

There should be nothing stopping you from unfolding the display and rotating it.

[EDIT] If you capture images in portrait mode, then isn’t the camera already rotated?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

This happens to me all the time! if you hold the camera at an extreme angle, the gyroscope will register that the camera is tilted, so it will rotate the image "incorrectly." I usually rotate in post, but I absolutely understand why the user wants to see what's going on at the time of capture! 

It has nothing to do with rotating the live view screen. I use liveview for everything. Yes the screen is vertical when taking a portrait shot. The issue is when I try to look at the shot after I have taken it, the image is no longer in the proper position, meaning if the live view screen is vertical, the image preview is horizontal, so I can’t view it the way I can if I take a landscape shot. I’m not the only one with this issue…

stevet1
Whiz
Whiz

tekgirl02,

I was wrong earlier, and I apologize.

There is a way to do this.

I have a T8i, this is the way to do this, at least in my camera. You might consult your own manual and see what it says about Rotating stills.

1) Take your vertical picture.

2) While in your regular shooting mode, as though you were going to take another picture, Hit your menu button.

3) Go to the second tab. It has a right-pointing icon, and may be blue in color. Hit that and scroll down to the option that says, "Rotate stills" Hit your set button.

4) An image will pop up - probably the last picture you took, but you can choose another picture by hitting the right or left arron keys.

5) Select the image you want to preview.

6) In the top left hand corner of your image there is a little blue icon that looks like a camera or something with an arrow that goes in a 3/4 circle.

7) Rotate your camera to the vertical position and tap that little icon. It will rotate your image 90 degrees at a time. One of those will be the vertical image you just took earlier, displayed vertically.

Steve Thomas

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements