cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade from EOS 80D to Mirrorless

avalanchis
Contributor

I'm an amateur/hobbyist photographer and I'm interested in upgrading from my EOS 80D to a Canon mirrorless.

I use the camera mostly for landscape photography and travel, with some occasional portraits.

I don't shoot action sports very often, but I am interested in wildlife photography and the animal eye tracking feature is interesting.

I have a collection of EF L glass lenses and a couple of EFS lenses (EFS 10-22 for wide angle with the APS-C sensor).

I'm thinking now might be the right time to change to a full frame sensor and get the EF adapter so I can use my existing lenses and upgrade them to RF lenses over time.

I'm looking for a camera that will take noticeably better pictures than my 80D.

Which bodies should I be considering?

11 REPLIES 11

If you do get an adapter. I would get the control ring adapter. The control ring can be set to change different settings such as ISO or aperture. You can also have Canon de-click it if you don't want to hear it click while turning it.

-Demetrius

40D, 5D IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L III, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L II, EF 28-135mm F/3.5-5.6 IS USM, EF 50 F/1.8 STM

430EX III-RT & 600EX II-RT

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L USM, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS III USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

Far from an expert but, based on my own experience, if the R7 is the newest and within your budget,  I would go that direction. Four years ago, an editor/mentor recommended a T6 to get me started but a camera shop said it was being replaced with the T7 which I bought. When you get the camera, looking forward to seeing some photos in the Share Your Photos section.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG
Announcements