cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade from EOS 80D - EOS 90D or EOS R?

Elmoraila
Apprentice

Hi,  I have an Cano 80D, and I want to upgrade to a more professional gear, but I need some help, I´m not sure which is the best option for me, the canon 90D or EOS R. 

I need a versatile camera, I do different king of video (Real state, wild life, sports, Ads and social) and photography      (Real state, sports and Social), can anybody guide me?, thank you. 

6 REPLIES 6

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi and welcome to the forum

Two questions come to mind:

1. What is your budget?

2. What lenses do you have? 

If the lenses you currently own are EF-S lenses then none of the Full Grame R-series bodies will be suitable. The EF-s lenses put a FF R body into crop mode, reducing the sensor capacity by a factor of over 2.5.  So unless you plan to use new RF (not RF-S) lenses, that are compatible with the R RP R5 and R6 then you should look at the R7 or R10 bodies that can use your EF-S lenses via an adapter. That said, ypu would be better served to get RF-S lenses that will make full use of the cameras' tracking and in body stabilization features.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

As always Trevors post is spot on.  

You'll get nothing from the 90D or R coming from an 80D.  The R has a video crop too.

Between the R7 and 10, go R7.  If you can't afford the intial outlay now, establish a buget, and save. Buy refurb from Canon, Or buy on credit and commit to paying a little more for some great new equipment. 

Why I recommend the R7.  Its more in line with your 80D's current feature set and then gives significant bumps in performance making it a meaningful upgrade.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

"You'll get nothing from the 90D or R coming from an 80D. " What do you mean by that? Both the 90D and EOS R are a significant upgrade to the 80D. The 90D is the next iteration of the 80D, so EF and EF-s lenses will be fine. The R has better image quality than the 90D and far better low light performance, plus all the benefits of being mirrorless over DSLR. So if the OP has EF lenses he can use them via adapter on the R.

Indoor video will be an issue due to the large crop on the R "when shooting 4K video", but no issue if 1080p is enough. AF is iffy on the 90D for photography, especially sports and due to the high pixel density, only certain lenses are deemed suitable for that camera.

Welcome to the forums @BrianDavies,

3 month old topic now.  The OP never replied or engaged further.  Budget or current lenses never answered.  The OP's intended use is a better fit for a 3rd or 4th gen MILC body.  The 90D is an absolute lateral move.  You even state the AF is iffy for sports.  The gains offered by the R could be overshadowed if the OPs existing stable of lenses are EF-S.  But we don't know.  The 4k crop is substantial, limiting the FOV.

shadowsports_0-1672250302157.png

The R7 records video in 10 bit vs 8bit on the R and it doesn't have a 30 min recording limit.  All of this and its cheaper than a R.  Let's not forget the R doesn't have ibis, making the 90D and R stop gaps.  I stand by my recommendation.  The R7 is a better value, offers a higher return on investment, costs less and won't have the OP looking at another upgrade in a few short years.  You are welcome to your opinion.  I look forward to your continued contributions.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Hi Rick! 🙂

Given all you have said, I can only agree that the R7 is the best bet for the OP.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Hi Rick, thanks for your kind welcome and your thoughtful response. It becomes a tough decision these days what to buy. I have the RP and recently bought an R7. The R7 has more features and runs rings around the RP in terms of speed, but the RP is much cleaner at high ISOs, especially in situations where high ISOs are genuinely needed. Comparing the R7 to the R, it would be more a choice between speed or image quality, especially in low light. I have to admit that since buying the R7, I have to look for excuses to even take my RP out. In low light, especially shooting people without flash, the RP is an obvious choice, but in every other situation the R7 is what gets used. If the OP doesn't shoot much high ISO, then I think you nailed it with the R7 recommendation.

Kind regards,
Brian.

Announcements