cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade Canon Rebel T3i Recommendations

Tleray
Contributor

I currently have a Canon Rebel T3i with the included 2 lenses and 2 additional lenses i purchased.   I use my camera for all things "kids" (indoor cheer competitions, outdoor cheer for school, indoor school dance team performances in gym, dance team performances on field, etc).   My rebel has died and i'm looking for a new camera as the kids seasons has just started;)   The last year i have started using manual and AV modes playing with manual adjustments.

I have looked at the Rebel 8i which had ok reviews but read everything is moving to mirrorless, so i looked at the Eos RP.

I would like suggestions for an amateur to take pictures for school events and sports indoors and outdoors. Sometimes lighting is poor so i need a camera that can adjust to lighting.   This is not a camera for professional purposes but for family memories and scrapbooking.

33 REPLIES 33

The adapter would work for continuing to use the EF-S 55-250mm lens with the EOS R10. I have used my ancient EF-S 55-250 on my EOS R5 and it works much better than it did on my Rebel T1i. I am not convinced that the RF24-240 would actually be enough better to be worth the extra money, but I have not tried it. With just the EOS R10 and the adapter you would be able to use all of the lenses you already have only with better auto focus and better low light performance than the same lenses on the Rebel T3i.

Purchased together, the RF-S18-45mm F4.5-6.3 IS STM lens adds only about $100 to the price of the EOS R10.

The others who have commented are correct that you could get much better lenses by paying more money.

---
https://www.rsok.com/~jrm/

Here is an example:

https://www.rsok.com/~jrm/2021Sep08_birds_and_cats/2021sep02_bumblebee_IMG_3837c.html

A Bumble Bee (Bombus pensylvanicus) was on a Zinnia in Norman, Oklahoma, United States on September 2, 2021. I made this photo with a very old lens as an experiment. I purchased the lens in 2011 and nearly wore it out. For this photo, it was attached to a newer camera body with an adapter with two telephoto extenders.

F Number16.0
ISO5000
Shutter Speed Value1/395
Focal Length700.0 mm
Lens IDCanon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS
Lens IDKenko TELEPLUS HD C-AF 2X DGX
Lens ID

Vivitar SERIES 1 1.4X AF

IMG_3837cs2.JPG

---

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

@Tleray wrote:

I currently have a Canon Rebel T3i with the included 2 lenses and 2 additional lenses i purchased.   I use my camera for all things "kids" (indoor cheer competitions, outdoor cheer for school, indoor school dance team performances in gym, dance team performances on field, etc).   My rebel has died and i'm looking for a new camera as the kids seasons has just started;)   The last year i have started using manual and AV modes playing with manual adjustments.

I have looked at the Rebel 8i which had ok reviews but read everything is moving to mirrorless, so i looked at the Eos RP.

I would like suggestions for an amateur to take pictures for school events and sports indoors and outdoors. Sometimes lighting is poor so i need a camera that can adjust to lighting.   This is not a camera for professional purposes but for family memories and scrapbooking.

It sounds like you were doing fine with your original gear until the T3i died and would not be updating if it didn’t. That being the case I recommend the T8i.  

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

A new Rebel may be better for OP without having to adapt lenses. Also the Rebel T8i allows AF at F/8 at the center AF point. If OP decides to use a teleconverter. 

-Demetrius

40D, 5D IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L III, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L II, EF 28-135mm F/3.5-5.6 IS USM, EF 50 F/1.8 STM

430EX III-RT, 600EX II-RT

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

" I use my camera for all things "kids" (indoor cheer competitions, outdoor cheer for school, indoor school dance team performances in gym, dance team performances on field, etc)."

You were, you seemed, satisfied with the T3i? Yes, no? Forget all the reviews. Most are worthless. If you were satisfied with the T3i you will love the T8i as it is a T3i only vastly improved. Just because they come out with mirrorless cameras does not make a DSLR useless or non-functioning anymore. They are as good as they ever were. And, in some cases even better than the mirrorless counterpart. Consider the T8i first off.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Your suggestion is absolutely valid about considering a DSLR alternative and I am glad to see a counter suggestion.  I maintain that the OP should look at reputable reviews for any gear they consider - it's good practice and common sense.  Sure, some reviewers are biased, but there are really good reviewers who are absolutely agnostic in their gear reviews and use standardized methodologies to give an informed presentation of a product's performance.  

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Ernie, you said: 'You were, you seemed, satisfied with the T3i? Yes, no?'

According to the OP's original post "Sometimes lighting is poor so i need a camera that can adjust to lighting." Which suggests they were not. 

My responses were based on this issue of seeking the best sensor performance and the FF sensor should provide a significant improvement in performance in this area - because of the new technology and the fact that it is a FF sensor and they are less prone to noise, given similar MP size.

Furthermore, the RP had eye tracking, the sensor displays what the image will be in terms of exposure - which an optical viewfinder does not do without using a stop-down button.   The choice must absolutely rely with the purchaser, but I encourage it to be made by looking at several options and checking out the specs and reviews from reputable sources.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

@Tronhard wrote:

Ernie, you said: 'You were, you seemed, satisfied with the T3i? Yes, no?'

According to the OP's original post "Sometimes lighting is poor so i need a camera that can adjust to lighting." Which suggests they were not. 

My responses were based on this issue of seeking the best sensor performance and the FF sensor should provide a significant improvement in performance in this area - because of the new technology and the fact that it is a FF sensor and they are less prone to noise, given similar MP size.

Furthermore, the RP had eye tracking, the sensor displays what the image will be in terms of exposure - which an optical viewfinder does not do without using a stop-down button.   The choice must absolutely rely with the purchaser, but I encourage it to be made by looking at several options and checking out the specs and reviews from reputable sources.

I’m not sure about that Trevor. As I read it she was stating that the replacement camera needs that capability. She didn’t state that she wanted to replace the T3i based on performance issues, just that it died. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

I look at it as since the camera has died, then this is the time to look at getting that improvement.  If they went to the trouble of mentioning it, it's a benefit they are seeking and that is a valid reason for looking at alternatives.

cheers, TREVOR

Canon says of the EOS R10 "Subject tracking handed down from the R3 with people, animal, and vehicle detection" which seems to me valuable for photographing active people.

• High Image Quality 24.2 megapixels APS-C sized CMOS sensor.
  • DIGIC X Image Processor with a native ISO range of 100-32000 expandable to 512005.
  • Dual Pixel CMOS AF II covering approximately 100% width and height2 with up to 651 zones down to EV -4.
  • High speed shooting 15fps mechanical7,2, 23fps electronic shutter2,8 and RAW Burst Mode with ½ second pre-shooting.
  • Subject tracking handed down from the R3 with people, animal, and vehicle detection.
  • EVF approximately 2.36M dots with 100% coverage and 0.95x magnification.
---
Announcements