cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to update firmware on my R5

Lieve
Apprentice

I've tried multiple times to update the firmware on my R5.  I have fully charged batteries, the dial on "P", a brandnew, freshly formatted SD card, downloaded and extracted the file from the website, but it on the top level of the card (verified the .FIR file is there), and properly ejected it from my PC.  When I load it into the camera, and try to update the firmware, I get the message "update file not found".  I tried with 2 different memory cards, always the same result.  After this, I have to remove the batteries from my camera to reset it.  Any idea what I'm doing wrong??

12 REPLIES 12

I've never had a problem leaving card 1 in while using card 2 to update firmware. Obviously, it's no big deal to pop out the CF, but I haven't found it to be necessary for any of my cameras with dual slots 🙂

Newton

I only ever use 1 card in my camera, so that can't be the issue.  I downloaded the firmware onto a brandnew card even  (after I formatted it with my camera).  I've googled this, and tried everything that was recommended/suggested, yet always the same result.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Giving Canon a call is good advice, 1-800-OK-CANON.

It is also possible to update firmware using a USB cable and the EOS Utility.  I used to update my Rebel T3 and T5 this way.  Files were small and the update took less than 30 seconds.  I did not begin using SD cards until I bought a 6D and 7D2, which had much larger firmware files.  My first update on the 6D took less than a minute using a USB.

Using a USB cable is fine, IMHO.  Make sure you battery is fully charged before you begin. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements