cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to download the Canon EOS Utility Manual for a 70D

KeithS
Apprentice

I own a Canon 70d and want to set up the ability to transfer files directly between the camera and a laptop computer.  I can download the utility program from the appropriate website but can download the manual.  When I go to the “Manual” section and type in the camera model or select the camera from the list, I end up on the same web page ( “View” or “Download” the manual ).  When I try to download the manual, the website loops me back to the beginning and makes me select the manual I want to download.  Yes, I can view the manual online, but when I view the manual that I am shown, the Canon 70d is not listed under the list of compatible cameras.  That leads me to believe that this is not the correct manual or version of the program.

Does anyone know what’s going on?

Keith S.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Well, seems that I need to answer my own post and eat my words at the same time.  Is there any one that is interested in buying a HP 17" Core i7 laptop w/a USB port that doesn't comply with standards.  This is the second time that this HP has failed to properly perform to specs yet passes every diagnostic that test that exists.  In this case, it won't allow communication to the Canon 70d camera but an old Dell Latitude 6400 w/Intel Centrino ( Core 2 Duo ) connected fine.

Guess I learned something about HP computers -- buy a Dell.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi Keith, and welcome to the forum:

I had a look at the site and it appears that Canon have moved to an on-screen display mode, rather than doing a PDF file download.  This allows them to make sure anyone accessing the documentation will have the latest correct version.  That interface is accessible HERE 

What method of connection between the camera and computer are you wanting to use?
I ask because, to be honest, the most simple, reliable and fastest method of transferring files between a camera and computer is to simply turn the camera off, remove the card, put it into an SD card reader and the card will come up as a drive.  

If you don't need to tether your camera to your computer for instant downloading, You can then just copy/move files between the card and the computer as you would any other files.

Afterwards, when putting the card back in the camera, always format the card to avoid accumulating file clusters from deleting files that will generate errors eventually.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Open the file (manual). Once it's open you can save it, either from the web browser or application you opened it in.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

It is confusing the way the website is set up.

The manual for EOSU is web-based; it cannot be downloaded. Click on the “Manual” button to access the site. The download button is for the application. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Most companies with web-based Help files give you the option to download them locally, or to view them on the web.  Web based product manuals and user guides is entirely different.  I should not need to have a web connection to read a user instruction manual.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

Most companies with web-based Help files give you the option to download them locally, or to view them on the web.  Web based product manuals and user guides is entirely different.  I should not need to have a web connection to read a user instruction manual.

Canon seems to have made the decision that software manuals will be web-based. Possibly based on the recognition that we are in a connected society and the computer one is using the software on is most likely connected to the web and they can provide the most up to date document at the click of a mouse.

Devices used away from the computer, like a camera, have downloadable PDF manuals.

We may not be fans of that approach, but it is what it is.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

I was trying to take a picture of myself ( where I could instantly see the results of the photograph ).  I tried the “Canon Connect” utility but found the wi-fi connection between the smartphone and the camera somewhat unreliable.  I tried computer and camera thru my router but found few “help” files to make this work.  That was when I turned to USB transfers ( which I had done with an older Canon ).  So far, I have been unsuccessful in getting this to work.  My biggest problem has been time, followed by the understanding of the manual.  And when the instruction manual told me that the utility did not apply to the 70d, I didn’t know what to do except turn to the community for help.

Download the 3.13 version. It will also install EOSU 2 which will work with the 70D. 

Here is link to EOSU2 pdf manual:

EOS Utility Ver.2.14 for Windows Instruction Manual (th.canon)

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

I have dedicated some time to this problem but have not gotten very far.  I have downloaded and installed EU-Installset-W3.13.10.1.zip of the EOS Utility.  I’ve connected a standard USB cable between the camera and the computer and configured the camera w/o wi-fi.  Then I turned the camera on and then started the EOS Utility.  Once activated, the program shows the 4 menu items, but the only menu item that is selectable is the bottom one ( for ”Monitor Folder” ); none of the other 3 selections can be selected ( they are “grayed” out ).

I have changed the cable between the camera and the computer.  I tried 4 other cables ( I have in stock ), but that has not changed anything.

I would appreciate any hints or comments on what I am doing wrong.

Keith.

Well, seems that I need to answer my own post and eat my words at the same time.  Is there any one that is interested in buying a HP 17" Core i7 laptop w/a USB port that doesn't comply with standards.  This is the second time that this HP has failed to properly perform to specs yet passes every diagnostic that test that exists.  In this case, it won't allow communication to the Canon 70d camera but an old Dell Latitude 6400 w/Intel Centrino ( Core 2 Duo ) connected fine.

Guess I learned something about HP computers -- buy a Dell.

Announcements