cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble using EOS 100D as a webcam

Kohventti
Apprentice

I am trying to get my EOS100D to work as a webcam on my computer, but I keep running into the same issues that I cannot figure out. The camera is plugged into my computer via Mini-USB and the dummy battery is connected to my computer (I tried to plug it into an outlet but my camera didn't ever turn off).
Now, the camera works and shows a clear picture but, the camera's screen keeps blinking, I cannot change any settings because of it. Also at random times between 1-10 seconds the shutter goes off, the webcam picture freezes for a few seconds and then it works again. The camera shutter goes off if I touch the camera so it moves physically or when I try to adjust the focus. 
Windows 11 22H2, EOS Webcam Utility version 1.1.4

6 REPLIES 6

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings ,

Start by performing a factory reset on the camera.  Return all of it settings to defaults and retest.

For our benefit, please also provide your computer's operating system (build and version) as well as the version of the webcam utility you are trying to use the camera with.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I updated the Windows and EOS software versions to the post. 
I also tried doing a factory reset and I tried to power the camera from the outlet and it works fine until I again plug in the Mini-USB, then the whole camera freezes and I cannot even turn it off without taking the plug out. 
Then I tried again by powering the dummy battery from my computer, Then I could get the camera to connect but using the camera screen was not possible. 

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

What happens if you use a regular battery, instead of the battery eliminator device?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

The screen is still blinking when using a regular battery

I reinstalled EOS Webcam Utility and again factory reseted the camera, now the camera works fine when using a regular battery, when I plug in the dummy battery it works for 3seconds and then the camera freezes. 
Since the dummy battery is a genuine Canon one and I am using a charging cable from Amazon, might be the best bet to try the charging cable from Canon that is made for the genuine dummy battery?

@Kohventti wrote:

I reinstalled EOS Webcam Utility and again factory reseted the camera, now the camera works fine when using a regular battery, when I plug in the dummy battery it works for 3seconds and then the camera freezes. 
Since the dummy battery is a genuine Canon one and I am using a charging cable from Amazon, might be the best bet to try the charging cable from Canon that is made for the genuine dummy battery?

The genuine Canon AC Adapter kit does not plug into a USB port.  It plugs into an AC outlet and the “dummy battery” does not need to charge up.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements