cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transitioning from 40D to R, selecting AutoFocus Points

zmetz
Apprentice

I spent about 12 years shooting with 20/30/40Ds but have finally upgraded to an R. I was very used to "spinning through" the autofocus points with the old dial. But with the R I'm getting a bit frustrated. Moving the AF point with the up/down/left/right buttons is far too slow and hard to reach when rotated (with grip). Using the screen touch and drag capability is hopelessly awkward when I'm looking through the viewfinder. Is there another way, maybe through customization? I can't find a good option. I mostly shoot live music, so quickly changing focus point when I see something happen is critical, and I cannot rely on face detection. I really appreciate any help. I realize I may need to get used to a new paradigm, but I'm not sure what the best option is to get used to!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

DigiBill
Contributor

I think you will find this video very helpful and informative.

EOS R Focus Point Settings 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

DigiBill
Contributor

I think you will find this video very helpful and informative.

EOS R Focus Point Settings 

Thank you! That was very helpful.

bobhowdy
Enthusiast

I miss my 40D (at times) ..... Canon hit a grand slam tape measure homerun with that camera body!

Bob Howdeshell
Life has an expiration date
Canon R3, Canon R5 (2), several Canon lenses and a couple of Sigma lenses

@bobhowdy wrote:

I miss my 40D (at times) ..... Canon hit a grand slam tape measure homerun with that camera body!

I got on the pre-release wait list for the 50D because the people in one of the USENET newsgroups raved so much about their 40Ds.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements