cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T6i external mic problems"off" icon

tsujj8789
Apprentice

Hello, I am trying to film something for a class I am taking but both my mounted mic and my lapel mic don't seem to be working with my T6i. Whenever one is plugged in an icon appears on the camera that looks like three check marks with a microphone that says "off". I can't seem to figure out how to turn it on so the microphones will work.

Any help would be much apprecaited.

IMG_0583.JPG

13 REPLIES 13

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

There should be a setting in the menus to enable/disable the external microphone input.  You have to tell the camera whether or not you want to use the internal microphone, or want to use an external microphone input.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

I think that icon is for the wind filter. Means it's off. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Ronil
Apprentice

Same problem...

What to do?

Make sure that the Menu isn't set to disable. Red movie menu 2.

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Same problem, did we ever figure this out? I did a Google search and found that several others have had this problem but have not seen a solution.

My menu display on Sound Recording only diplays 2 options: On and Off. There is no menu option for Auto or Manual.

I am also getting the "wind/audio off" icon mentioned above.

How does one change this so external audio using a 3.5 jack can be recorded?

Thanks!

Hello everyone!

The icon you're seeing is for the wind filter. If it says it's off, that means the wind filter is off. If you're not getting any audio, you'll want to make sure you're using a powered microphone. The jack can provide power to some microphones, like the Rode Video Go microphone, but not to all. If you're using a passive microphone, that might not work.

If you need advice, or assistance, our US-based team is happy to troubleshoot at 1-800-OK-CANON (800-652-2666) during the week from 8am to Midnight (ET) or on Saturdays from 10am to 8pm (ET).

We hope this helps!

I have the same problem, only I do have a rode video go. I have the options to record audio and still its giving the same icons as on the picture in the thread. What do I do @_@

Hi,

I had an external lapel mic, for my Rebel T6i, that was working with the camera for over a year, but recently has stopped working all together. I recently purchased a new external mic to sit on top of the camera (Takstar brand), but that doesn't work either. I am wondering if the Takstar simply isn't compatible, but the lapel mic working for so long and then all of the sudden not working anymore has me worried the camera is having a malfunction somewhere.

What do you think the problem could be?

AW 

same problem wih my DSLR 200d

Announcements