cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T5i questions

Wingnusa
Apprentice

I've been an SLR user for many years and just got what I consider to be a good deal on a T5i new in the box. I'd like to get a couple extra batteries and was wondering about experiences from you'all. I really don't want to pay for an expensive Canon battery unless it's worth the $$. I've seen some cheap on Amazon and was worried about being too cheap.

I will need some lenses one at a time. It came with the EFs 18-55 so I'm going to need a longer zoom for wildlife. Suggestions without paying a fortune but good quality for the $$??

Thanks ahead of time...

Fulltime RV'er
Lifetime NRA member
National Sporting Clays competitor and instructor

Canon T5i

8 REPLIES 8

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

The are stories on line about issues with some third party batteries. Other folks report good experience with certain brands.

I purchased one additional Canon battery. Over the life of the battery the added cost isn't abig consideration to me compared against possible problems. Others may feel differently.

As far as lenses, the 55-250 STM lens gets decent reviews. Its certainly not at the level of the 70-200 f/2.8L, but most reviews I have read say its good value for the money.

maybe ebiggs1 will see this; he has experience with some third-party lenses.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

I have never had an extra battery. The battery lasts a very long time. I charge it every 3 shoots or so although it is not empty.  Certainly 1 extra battery is all you could need. 

What do you photograph?  

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

ScottyP...mostly wildlife, sunrise/sunset. Stuff that if I'm in the middle of nowhere I don't want to be without a spare battery...

The T5i supposedly doesn't do well with the battery life and I haven't had it long enough to establish long or short. I won't use the LCD much so I know that will extend the life.

Fulltime RV'er
Lifetime NRA member

Canon T5i

"I really don't want to pay for an expensive Canon battery unless it's worth the $$"

It is !  Never use off brand batteries.  They can be more than just not as good.  Much more. Smiley Sad

There is a chip in real Canon batteries that some off brand batteries don't have.  This can and has caused the battery to explode or catch on fire.  Especially when it is charged.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Well, then look at it this way. You were going to buy 2 knockoff spare batteries. You honestly can't need 3 batteries, I just have to believe that from my own experiences. So instead of buying 2 cheap spares, try buying 1 real Canon spare battery. You can always get another if you find you need a third battery. There really are issues with the knockoffs frying cameras or just failing.  Probably not all that common, but I would not chance it.

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

I ended up getting a Canon battery with you'alls advice and a 75-300 Canon lens to start. I got the lens from Amazon because of their return policies so I'll try it out soon.... Merry Christmas everyone!

Fulltime RV'er
Lifetime NRA member

Canon T5i

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Fulltime RV'er                                                                                        Not yet!  Smiley Frustrated
Lifetime NRA member                                                                            Since 1964 Smiley Happy
National Sporting Clays competitor and instructor"                                I love shooting clays.  Smiley Wink

OK, Sporting Clays Instructor, how much did you spend on that last shotgun?  Is it a good one or is it a great gun?  Do you want a lens in that same 'caliber"?  Had to say that! Smiley Very Happy

The fact is any of the Canon lens line is good.  They all take good photos.  Now do you want good or do you want one like your best shotgun?

The best 'bang' for the buck for a general purpose lens is the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens.  You already got a kit lens with the camera so this may not appeal to you.  But it is vastly superior.  It is a constant f2.8 aperture for one thing. 

The Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II Lens is pretty cheap and in the same level and quality as the kit lens you already have.  It would keep your combo equal.  It does not have a constant aperture and is fairly slow. But so is the lens you have.  Both are pretty similar and work well for lots of folks.  Maybe the most popular combo Canon has.

There are several third party lens that are extremely good and come in at nearly half the price of the best and highest quality Canon lenses. One is the Tamron SP 70-200mm f/2.8 Di VC USD Zoom Lens for Canon.  Currently my favorite off brand lens.

However, the best in the world is the Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Lens.  It and along with its smaller brother the EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Lens are the two best lenses made.  They have no peers.

There is always the used market too.

If you decide to go off-brand stick with the more current models to avoid any possible issues.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

"Fulltime RV'er                                                                                        Not yet!  Smiley Frustrated    Since 2005 Smiley Tongue
Lifetime NRA member                                                                            Since 1964 Smiley Happy Since 1961 Smiley Tongue
National Sporting Clays competitor and instructor"                                I love shooting clays.  Smiley Wink Me too!! Smiley LOL

OK, Sporting Clays Instructor, how much did you spend on that last shotgun?  Is it a good one or is it a great gun?  Do you want a lens in that same 'caliber"?  Had to say that! Smiley Very Happy

The fact is any of the Canon lens line is good.  They all take good photos.  Now do you want good or do you want one like your best shotgun? I can't afford that again...Smiley LOL

Thanks and I'll look at your suggestions. I've been in the D-slr world for awhile and this is my first trek into Canon. I know that they all advertise quality but I've seen some of the "quality" out there. We all get what we can afford and live with our decisions...

Fulltime RV'er
Lifetime NRA member

Canon T5i

Announcements