cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T5i malfunctioning

nyttrain5150
Contributor

Hello all, while doing a google search on my issues with my T5i I found this forum. I read through the "Camera saying busy and won't take pictures" thread and decided my issues while similar isn't quite the same. I'm very hopeful someone can help me.

I shoot in manual/raw format and normally use a Rokinon 14mm lens that is 100% manual (no auto focus), the camera is also in manual focus mode.

I noticed the other night while shooting some Milky Way shots that I could not take consecutive pictures without pressing the playback button first then pressing the shutter button. The first press of the shutter button works correctly but the second press and so on does not, I found this quite odd and investigated further. While pressing the shutter button the "Q" in the lower left of the screen would highlight coinciding with the shutter button being depressed but the shutter would not activate. I then turn on the touch shutter and it worked flawlessly. I plugged in my Vello intervalometer and tried it, same result as using the shutter button itself, I have to press playback in order for the shutter to fire. I though it was a lens issue so I swapped lenses to my kit lens (18-55mm stm) and same problem, even in auto focus modes on the lens and camera. I also cleaned the lens contacts and inspected for visual damages. At this point it doesn't appear to be a lens issue. I then updated the firmware to Ver 1.1.4 & reset the setting to factory defaults all to no avail. The issues also exists in all menu functions (Auto,Av,M,Tv, etc).

While expermenting I found out that if I press the DOF button (below the lens release) between shutter button presses the shutter functions every time without failure.

I forgot to include the memory card is a Sandisk Extreme Plus 32gb

11 REPLIES 11

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@nyttrain5150 wrote:

Hello all, while doing a google search on my issues with my T5i I found this forum. I read through the "Camera saying busy and won't take pictures" thread and decided my issues while similar isn't quite the same. I'm very hopeful someone can help me.

I shoot in manual/raw format and normally use a Rokinon 14mm lens that is 100% manual (no auto focus), the camera is also in manual focus mode.

I noticed the other night while shooting some Milky Way shots that I could not take consecutive pictures without pressing the playback button first then pressing the shutter button. The first press of the shutter button works correctly but the second press and so on does not, I found this quite odd and investigated further. While pressing the shutter button the "Q" in the lower left of the screen would highlight coinciding with the shutter button being depressed but the shutter would not activate. I then turn on the touch shutter and it worked flawlessly. I plugged in my Vello intervalometer and tried it, same result as using the shutter button itself, I have to press playback in order for the shutter to fire. I though it was a lens issue so I swapped lenses to my kit lens (18-55mm stm) and same problem, even in auto focus modes on the lens and camera. I also cleaned the lens contacts and inspected for visual damages. At this point it doesn't appear to be a lens issue. I then updated the firmware to Ver 1.1.4 & reset the setting to factory defaults all to no avail. The issues also exists in all menu functions (Auto,Av,M,Tv, etc).

While expermenting I found out that if I press the DOF button (below the lens release) between shutter button presses the shutter functions every time without failure.

I forgot to include the memory card is a Sandisk Extreme Plus 32gb

Try a differnt memory card. 

I tried several cards all wit hthe same results.

@nyttrain5150 wrote:

I tried several cards all wit hthe same results.

"I noticed the other night while shooting some Milky Way shots that I could not take consecutive pictures without pressing the playback button first then pressing the shutter button." 

Did you try reformatting your card(s)?  Turning off "Long Exposure Compensation"?  Turning off "High ISO Compensation?  Are you using your intervalometer in Bulb mode?  If all that fails, contact Canon Support.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

TTMartin
Authority
Authority
Try shooting in 'Green Square' mode with the kit lens.

I tried that as well and still no change.

I think a phone call to Canon technical support is in order.

nyttrain5150
Contributor
I reformatted the cards, reset the camera to factory defaul settings, and when using the intervalometer I was in bulb mode. I do think I will be calling Canon Support tomorrow.

@nyttrain5150 wrote:
I reformatted the cards, reset the camera to factory defaul settings, and when using the intervalometer I was in bulb mode. I do think I will be calling Canon Support tomorrow.

Okay.  Just be aware that Long Exposure Compensation can take as much time as your original exposure.  If you are using image stacking software, then I don't see any need to use any of the camera's built-in noise compensation features.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

nyttrain5150
Contributor
I first noticed it when shooting at night but the problem exists all the time. I've since reset the setting taking care of the mentioned long exposure compensation and noise reduction out of the equation.
Announcements