cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T5i Viewfinder/Liveview ALWAYS showing blurred background no matter the aperture. Pictures take fine

soulfood2go
Apprentice

Issue: I can't get my Canon Rebel T5i (viewfinder OR live view) to update my preview based on my aperture! It ALWAYS makes it look like I have a blurry background. It's just not working right, as far as I can tell.

Example: At 1.8 aperture, the preview screen showed everything in the background of my subject blurred (like it should). But when I switched to a 22 aperture, it still showed the background blurred on the preview screen. So I pushed halfway on the shutter button. No change. I took the picture, and everything was in focus on the image I took (no blurry background) but when I looked at my camera in live-view/viewfinder again, it still showed the background blurred out still (even though the pictures it was taking were fine).

Things I have tried: I have tried this with different lenses, different priority modes (aperture priority, manual), and different focus modes (single, multi)... I've even tried putting it to a different f-stop, turning the camera off and back on, but nothing helps!

Do I have a setting wrong? Is this just how my camera is?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Welcome to the forum.

The Main Dial (which is what you are talking about) changes the camera setting for aperture but it doesn't stop down the aperture.

That is button near the lens mount.

Annotation 2020-06-18 151353.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

The lens is always wide open for focussing. THere is a depth of preview button on the front of the camera that will stop down the aperture.

soulfood2go
Apprentice
I use a scroll.. ummm.. thingie to step down the aperture, and that's right behind my shutter button. But I don't see anything that's specifically for preview purposes.

Welcome to the forum.

The Main Dial (which is what you are talking about) changes the camera setting for aperture but it doesn't stop down the aperture.

That is button near the lens mount.

Annotation 2020-06-18 151353.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

OMG!! Thank you so much!!!

Announcements