cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T5i View Finder Meter

sisabell
Contributor

Hello, new here and new to Canon. Recently purchased a used T5i with 18-55 kit lens. I am new to DSLR cameras but learning. Realized I'm having an issue and wanted to make sure I'm not being dumb. 

In live view, I can take photos in any mode and the exposure meter seems to work as designed. With live view off and trying to take photos through view finder the camera meter things everything is WAY under exposed. if you adjust enough to bring the meter up to even -2 the picture is terrible and blown out. 

With the camera in auto mode inside a well lit room it tries to take pictures with a 20-30 second shutter. 

Just curious if anyone else has every ran into this and what the remedy was...

Thanks for any help

21 REPLIES 21

Hmm, have you tried it without the battery grip?

You might just see how much a Cleaning from Canon would cost. If you go to the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta next year, you can get it for free!

I don't see anything obvious in the firwware updates that would cause this, but you can check that, too.

@kvbarkley wrote:

You might just see how much a Cleaning from Canon would cost. If you go to the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta next year, you can get it for free! ...

Are you sure? In some such cases Canon has been known to require that you be actually accredited to photograph the event.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I am not sure what you mean, Bob, it is a public event open to everyone. Canon sponsors it so they have a big tent where you can borrow the latest equipment. I never borrow anything because I am afraid it will give me GAS. They also have techs on site that perform a cleaning. I have done it two years in a row, now. 8^)

As far as a cleaning fixing the issue, I am assuming that something is on the exposure chip.

@kvbarkley wrote:

I am not sure what you mean, Bob, it is a public event open to everyone. Canon sponsors it so they have a big tent where you can borrow the latest equipment. I never borrow anything because I am afraid it will give me GAS. They also have techs on site that perform a cleaning. I have done it two years in a row, now. 8^)

As far as a cleaning fixing the issue, I am assuming that something is on the exposure chip.

I've seen on at least one or two occasions that Canon advertised that they would be running a booth or lounge or cleaning station at some major sporting event, only to discover on a closer reading that the Canon facility would be located in an area accessible only to journalists accredited by the event's sponsors. If you've attended this event in the past and were admitted to the Canon facility with no such restriction, then that's a different situation and my concern is evidently unfounded.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Robert your experience is the same as mine.  Perhaps not all events are run similarly but some are.   Not even CPS was included.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

"...Canon has been known to require that you be actually accredited to photograph the event."

This is for borrowing gear.  I don't know if it also involves sensor cleaning which is all they do.  They don't tear the camera apart to get deeper inside.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Usually at AIBF, we offer free clean and check for all Canon gear as long as it's in service life. You don't need to be a member of CPS or anything special! It's just a benefit of being a member of #TeamCanon. 

Also, regarding borrowing of equipment (again, at AIBF), there isn't any special requirement, it's first come first served, as long as gear is available. It's a great way to try out something new! 

I hope this helps! 

Stephen:

I have long thought - probably because I live in ABQ 8^) - that we should have a Canon Community meetup at the Fiesta. Or at least a swag bag or T-Shirt or something.

That's not a bad idea. When AIBF gets closer, remind me, and we'll talk about making something happen! Smiley Wink

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements