cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T4i Won't Turn On, Doesn't Recognize Battery

achromatic
Apprentice

Hi,

I have a T4i, which is about 4 years old with only about 20k shutter actuations. I have been having an intermittent problem with it not powering up. It started about 2 years ago, but it only happens occasionally and only when I change lenses or remove and replace/change the battery. It’s always been recoverable after a few minutes with a little fiddling.

In the past, taking the battery out and putting it back in a few times, or changing the lens back to the one that was on the camera before it was powered off fixed the problem. Sometimes, the battery has to be kept out for 15 minutes or so before being replaced for the camera to power back on, but never more than that, and the camera always powered back up.

Anyway, a couple days ago I had a shoot. Everything was fine during the shoot; the camera and battery functioned normally. At the end, I removed the battery and charged it back up overnight. When the battery was fully charged the next morning (yesterday morning), I replaced the battery but the camera didn’t power up (and didn’t even recognize the battery, i.e. the red light didn’t blink when the battery installed and the door closed). I tried changing the lens to another one I used during the shoot, but no luck. I tried two other batteries (both fully charged) but that didn’t work.

I also tried using three other SD cards, but that didn’t help. I tried manually depressing the buttons on the battery door and SD card door, but that had no effect. I cleaned the lens contacts on both the lens and the camera, but that didn’t help either. I tried leaving a fully charged battery in for several hours before trying again, and I also tried leaving it without a battery overnight last night, but neither of those worked either. I’m stumped and frustrated. It’s been nearly two days and the camera is totally unresponsive.

I should add, that when I place the battery in the camera and close the camera door, the red light (SD card access light?) does not blink. It’s like it doesn’t even recognize that a battery is in place. However, this is exactly what happened in the past, but usually after a couple battery removals/replacements or a lens change, the light blinks and the camera will power on, but this time it’s been a couple days and still nothing from the camera.

I tried using every lens I have and every permutation of AF on/off and IS on/off. I also tried hitting the menu and info (and every other button) on the camera when I turn it on, but no response (which I guess is not surprising since the red light didn’t blink anytime I closed the battery door). I also tried connecting the camera to my laptop and my desktop, but neither computer recognized the camera and the camera didn’t respond.

Things I’ve tried:

• 3 Different batteries (all fully charged)
  • 4 Different SD cards
  • Manually pushing SD card micro-switch
  • Manually pushing battery door micro-switch
  • Cleaning lens contacts on camera body and lens
  • Cleaning battery contacts on camera body and battery
  • Leaving fully charged battery in camera for several hours
  • Leaving camera without battery for several hours
  • 4 Different lenses
  • Pushing “Menu”, “Info” and other buttons on camera with battery installed
  • Trying different settings on dial (e.g. M, Av, Tv)
  • Different permutations of AF on/off and IS on/off with each lens
  • Connecting camera to computer

I would really appreciate any advice you have. I’m probably in denial that the camera is dead, but if you have any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it.

2 REPLIES 2

Given your tests, which seem careful and exhaustive to me, I think our best guess is going to be that either the battery door or the card door has a broken switch. You've established, I think, that neither of the switches is stuck. But if one of them is broken, it would fit your symptoms pretty well.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Hi,

Thanks for the quick response!

Do you know if the switches be replaced easily/inexpensively or are they integrated into a board? I expect that if I have to send the camera in for repairs, it will more than the camera is worth and I might be better off putting that money towards a new camera.

Thanks,

Brett!

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements