cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T4i Factory Firmware Issues

GenXRailmedia
Enthusiast

This week I bought a used T4i/650D.  As soon as a I turned it on, I noticed something strange -- it beeped at power up (also when coming out of auto power off) and the amber self-timer lamp illuminates whenever the shutter is pressed.  I called Canon and the rep was initially stumped, but we determined that the factory firmware was very likely left on the camera after a servicing.  

For the record, it indicates Ver.:5.5.9 82(28)

Has anyone else ever experienced this?  If so, are there any issues besides the beep and self timer light that the presence of factory firmware could cause?

The rep said that I could send it in and they could resolve the issue for no charge, but after being without a camera for a month, I would have to turn right back around and be without a camera for two weeks while they fix it.  I can live with the beep (though I've always been fan of quiet camera) and the light is annoying, but can be circumvented.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

To answer Bob's question, the card in the camera is the one that I used with my old T4i.  I tried a regular format and low-level format and there is no change.  

Since I have an assignment this weekend, I will have to use it, and after that -- as much of a huge pain in the arse as it is, I guess I will send it back and literally pray there is nothing more wrong than just this firmware issue.  

I guess my lucky streak of nine years of buying trouble-free gear has finally been broken.  As of now, I still don't regret buying used because for someone like me on a starving artist budget, the extra $200-300 of buying new would have destroyed me financially.  

Thank you all for your responses.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Send it back.  Now. "Put.  The Candle.  BACK!"

Visit the Canon Online Refurbished Store for a reliable bargain on a Canon DSLR.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Put the candle back???

I did visit the store for refurbs but was not satisified with the selection.

@GenXRailmedia wrote:

Put the candle back???

I did visit the store for refurbs but was not satisified with the selection.

"Put.  The Candle.  Back."   Young Frankenstein urgently needed the candle put back in its' place.  In other words, send the camera back right away for a refund.  Bad camera, out of the box, is not good.  The camera is probably no good, and probably has problems looming on the horizon.

What are you looking for in a camera?  I do not recommend buying used camera gear on eBay or Amazon, not at all.

Be aware that many older cameras are becoming incompatible to use with some of the newer computer gear, because the older cameras do not have modern communication ports.  Or even worse, you cannot find the proper size and type of memory cards to use with it.

I appreciate your reply, but right now, I'm only interested in the finding an anwswer to the orginal question at hand. 

@GenXRailmedia wrote:

I appreciate your reply, but right now, I'm only interested in the finding an anwswer to the orginal question at hand. 

You could try reloading the latest firmware yourself.  I assume that the Canon rep went down the list of the usual suspect problems, which is why they recommended that you send it back, FREE of charge.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
This is a user supported forum.

The manufacturer rep recommended sending the camera back. I think you have your answer.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

@GenXRailmedia wrote:

This week I bought a used T4i/650D.  As soon as a I turned it on, I noticed something strange -- it beeped at power up (also when coming out of auto power off) and the amber self-timer lamp illuminates whenever the shutter is pressed.  I called Canon and the rep was initially stumped, but we determined that the factory firmware was very likely left on the camera after a servicing.  

For the record, it indicates Ver.:5.5.9 82(28)

Has anyone else ever experienced this?  If so, are there any issues besides the beep and self timer light that the presence of factory firmware could cause?

The rep said that I could send it in and they could resolve the issue for no charge, but after being without a camera for a month, I would have to turn right back around and be without a camera for two weeks while they fix it.  I can live with the beep (though I've always been fan of quiet camera) and the light is annoying, but can be circumvented.  

Did a memory card come with the camera, and are you using it? If so, try doing a low-level format or use a different card. There are ways to make software stored on a card function as though it were replacement firmware; that's how Magic Lantern works. You might as well rule that out in this case before moving on to more drastic action.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

To answer Bob's question, the card in the camera is the one that I used with my old T4i.  I tried a regular format and low-level format and there is no change.  

Since I have an assignment this weekend, I will have to use it, and after that -- as much of a huge pain in the arse as it is, I guess I will send it back and literally pray there is nothing more wrong than just this firmware issue.  

I guess my lucky streak of nine years of buying trouble-free gear has finally been broken.  As of now, I still don't regret buying used because for someone like me on a starving artist budget, the extra $200-300 of buying new would have destroyed me financially.  

Thank you all for your responses.

Announcements