cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T3 Rebel-EFS 18-55 mm lens won't take a picture

kmayo77
Apprentice

I have a Rebel T3 which I have been using for a few years. I have two lenses. The one that came with it (the 18-55mm) now only sporadically takes pictures. It worked fine for the first few years. When I try to take a picture, it will keep beeping and not take the picture (like it can't focus. I've tried cleaning the lens. My longer lens works perfectly fine.

What could be wrong? Any ideas?

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3

William_N
Enthusiast

Hi kmayo77,

Cleaning the contacts on the mount end of the lens is a good step to take in this situation. Since it did not help I recommend setting the focus switch on the lens to MF, rotating the focus ring back-and-forth through the range of motion a couple of times, and then setting the lens back to AF.

If the issue continues after this troubleshooting I recommend contacting our support team for further assistance. Please CLICK HERE to reach our friendly Technical Support Team by phone or email.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

kmayo77
Apprentice
Thanks, William. I tried that - no luck.

It’s sometjing with autofocus because it seems to work fine when I have it on manual. Could the lens just be bad? What other similar lens could I purchase?

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I've tried cleaning the lens."

In spite of what some may tell you that rarely to never works as you have found out.  The action of mounting and removing the lens tends to 'clean' the contacts.

You might try this procedure.  You really don't have anything to lose.

Take the lens off of your camera.

Put the lens in MF mode.

Twist the FOCUS ring (the tip of the lens) all the way to one side (extend it). You may hear a click noise or two, this is good, but don't FORCE the lens.

Twist the FOCUS ring all the way to the opposite side (retract it). Again, you may hear a couple of clicking noises. What we hope is happening is the focusing motor being put back into its proper place.

Put the lens back on the camera.

Put the lens in AF mode.

Turn the camera on.

Put the camera in AUTO or P mode.

Take a test photo.

Good luck.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements