cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sporadic problem with shutter on the R6

Sborg
Contributor

I've been having a problem recently with the R6.  On occasion, I press the shutter button to take a photo and the shutter fails to work.  It has failed when using AF and also using MF.  It's failed with my Canon 100-400mm and with my Tamron wide-angle.  Turning the camera off and back on usually fixes the problem for a while but the problem eventually recurs.  Removing the battery and reinserting them works temporarily.

I'm using the current firmware.  In fact, I upgraded to that firmware a week or so before the problem started.  Canon customer service suggested I clear all the custom functions.  Problem with that is I want to use those functions. 

Any ideas?

7 REPLIES 7

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Try resetting the camera.

If that works add your settings back one at a time to see if the problem comes back.

FloridaDrafter
Authority
Authority

kvbarkley's suggestion is about all you can do. I suspect that Canon may not take the camera for repair until you do what they suggested. Even if they do, they will reset it themselves, so you'll loose those settings anyway.

I know it's a PIA, but that is what I would do. I have the R6 and have not had that problem.

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Save the current camera settings in a custom shooting mode before resetting the camera.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

I was going to say to see if Mirror Lock Up is activated, but then I thought to myself "Oh, Wait..."

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Judging from your description of the lenses, it sounds like they are EF mount.  Which brand of mount adapter are you using?  Canon?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Yes, the Canon adapter.

Sborg
Contributor

Well, I reset the camera and then restored the settings.  I shot nearly 500 pics over the weekend and so far, no problems.  I believe the problem may be solved.  Thanks to all who responded.

Announcements