cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some AF area selections are not available

johnxjcheng
Apprentice

I recently started paying attention to the AF area selection. I noticed on my EOS 5d Mark iv some of the selections are dimmed, and not selectable. See the image below and watch the icon 1, 5, and 7. They are dimmed. The toggle button simply skips them. I tested with the main switch on P, Tv, Av, and M mode. I cleared all custom settings. I also tried with different lenses and without lens. The behavior does not change. I will appreciate any help or explanation.

Canon 5d iv AF area selection.jpg

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

Go into menu settings, I believe that is under the AF4 tab on your camera body, and under "select area AF selection mode" you need to checkmark all of the patterns you want to be able to select.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

View solution in original post

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

You probably disabled those options at some point.  Go into the Menu, AF, set #4.  Scroll down to Select AF are selec. mode and press 'Set'.  There you can enable/disable what options you want.

I personally disable those that I don't use so that I can cycle amongst the modes I do use more quickly.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

Go into menu settings, I believe that is under the AF4 tab on your camera body, and under "select area AF selection mode" you need to checkmark all of the patterns you want to be able to select.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

You probably disabled those options at some point.  Go into the Menu, AF, set #4.  Scroll down to Select AF are selec. mode and press 'Set'.  There you can enable/disable what options you want.

I personally disable those that I don't use so that I can cycle amongst the modes I do use more quickly.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

johnxjcheng
Apprentice

Thanks, wq9nsc and rs-eos. That solved my problem. 

Announcements