cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shutter stuck half-pressed in non-creative modes on 60D

focs
Apprentice

Hi, I had the misfortune of getting water in my 60D and now it's broken. It seems that in non-creative modes P, Av, Tv, M, B, C and Video the shutter button acts as if it's half-pressed.

Because of this, absolutely none of the other buttons on the camera can be operated: iso, picture review, menu, Q menu, etc. You can try this on your camera to see what I'm talking about. The only buttons that work are the buttons that would normally work when the shutter is half-pressed: quick control dial for changing exposure bias and the main dial used for changing the apperture/exposure.

In the creative modes Auto, sports, landscape, etc. the shutter functions normally -- half-press to focus, full-press to shoot. So it's not a matter of the button physically being stuck.

The zoom out button doesn't work either.

I left it on my car's dashboard for a couple of days in the parking lot so I think it's pretty dry by now.

Does this sound like an easy to fix problem? Is it worth sending to customer service?

thanks in advance

4 REPLIES 4

@focs wrote:

Hi, I had the misfortune of getting water in my 60D and now it's broken. It seems that in non-creative modes P, Av, Tv, M, B, C and Video the shutter button acts as if it's half-pressed.

Because of this, absolutely none of the other buttons on the camera can be operated: iso, picture review, menu, Q menu, etc. You can try this on your camera to see what I'm talking about. The only buttons that work are the buttons that would normally work when the shutter is half-pressed: quick control dial for changing exposure bias and the main dial used for changing the apperture/exposure.

In the creative modes Auto, sports, landscape, etc. the shutter functions normally -- half-press to focus, full-press to shoot. So it's not a matter of the button physically being stuck.

The zoom out button doesn't work either.

I left it on my car's dashboard for a couple of days in the parking lot so I think it's pretty dry by now.

Does this sound like an easy to fix problem? Is it worth sending to customer service?

thanks in advance

No. Yes.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

hsbn
Whiz
first, make sure mirror lock up is not enable.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

To the OP, Hope you send in your camera. Leaving it in direct sunlight on the dash isn't a good idea. See the fourth item on the Handling Precautions page, page 12 of your owner's manual.

ScreenHunter_17 Jul. 28 14.15.jpg

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Sounds like you did three wrong things in a row.  Getting the camera wet, turning it on before it was dry and leaving it in the hot sun.

If one of those didn't kill it the other probably did but will never know fi you don't send it to Canon Service.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements