cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shutter Speed vs Screen Darkness

CassiLynne20
Contributor

I'm still very new to cameras, and I have a Rebel T5. When I get my shutter speed up, my photos are so much darker they're practically black. I know this has something to do with the light getting in, but I don't know how to fix it right in the settings. I've played around with it best I can figure, but don't know how to fix it. Even with a SUPER bright flash, it still looks black at the higher shutter speeds.

 

Please help.

 

Thanks! 

20 REPLIES 20


@jrhoffman75 wrote:

I don't understand what you mean by "takes only one photo". If you are in One Shot mode the camera will take one photo each time you press shutter button regardless of shutter speed.

 

If the shutter speed is that low in P it probably means that the lens is wide open and the ISO is at max.

 

When in P record shutter speed, aperture and ISO. Then dial those in Manual. You should get the same result in GS, P and M.

 

When you record them report back what they are.

 

One thing - just to be sure all is set well, go to the Menu and clear all camera settings and custom settings.

 

Annotation 2019-11-19 110411.jpg


I reset the settings and it's working now! I'm not sure what was selected that was making it wonky.

 CassiLynne20 

Stop for a minute.  First lets determine if all is OK.  Put the camera in P mode, ISO set to 200, not auto ISO.  Lens in AF. Average WB. Go outside on a nice day at a nice park or other nice place and take some shots. If all is well the camera is fine.

 

If that works let's make "single" adjustments.  You can try Av and select a certain aperture, say f8, and let the camera choose the best SS.  Then select Tv, let's try 1/200, and let the camera select the proper aperture. Leave the ISO at 200 still on that nice day at the park. Going on, put the camera back in P mode and change the ISO setting.  All the while do notice the other settings the camera is making.  You will quickly see how things work, I am sure.

 

Put a small piece of black tape over the "green square" on the mode dial and forget it even exists. Smiley Happy  If you feel you need an auto setting always use P mode.

 

You can view all the settings on the LCD when you check your shots.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!


@ebiggs1 wrote:

 CassiLynne20 

Stop for a minute.  First lets determine if all is OK.  Put the camera in P mode, ISO set to 200, not auto ISO.  Lens in AF. Average WB. Go outside on a nice day at a nice park or other nice place and take some shots. If all is well the camera is fine.

 

If that works let's make "single" adjustments.  You can try Av and select a certain aperture, say f8, and let the camera choose the best SS.  Then select Tv, let's try 1/200, and let the camera select the proper aperture. Leave the ISO at 200 still on that nice day at the park. Going on, put the camera back in P mode and change the ISO setting.  All the while do notice the other settings the camera is making.  You will quickly see how things work, I am sure.

 

Put a small piece of black tape over the "green square" on the mode dial and forget it even exists. Smiley Happy  If you feel you need an auto setting always use P mode.

 

You can view all the settings on the LCD when you check your shots.


This is what came from that 🙂 Appreciate the suggestions!

Kuma.jpg

Ray-uk
Whiz

It sounds as though you need to learn the basics of manual exposure, there are plenty of tutorials online.

 

Getting the correct exposure in settings other than automatic require a little juggling with the 3 variables, shutter speed, aperture and ISO. It is no good just increasing the shutter speed without adjusting one or both of the other two.

 

Likewise a flashgun will not necessarily help if you are going to use high shutter speeds unless you use high speed flash which is yet another learning curve.

 

As others have pointed out if your camera gets it right in Auto (green square) mode then the camera isn't faulty and the problem lies with the user.


@Ray-uk wrote:

It sounds as though you need to learn the basics of manual exposure, there are plenty of tutorials online.

 

Getting the correct exposure in settings other than automatic require a little juggling with the 3 variables, shutter speed, aperture and ISO. It is no good just increasing the shutter speed without adjusting one or both of the other two.

 

Likewise a flashgun will not necessarily help if you are going to use high shutter speeds unless you use high speed flash which is yet another learning curve.

 

As others have pointed out if your camera gets it right in Auto (green square) mode then the camera isn't faulty and the problem lies with the user.


I did full acknowledge that I'm still learning and that it might be me. I'm simply asking for help on figuring the settings out if it is in fact me. I've tried all of the different combinations of the SS, Aperture, and ISO which is why I wasn't sure if it was in fact a camera issue, but it could just be that I haven't found the right combination yet.

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

Are you using an external flash for all these photos? 

 

Mike Sowsun


@MikeSowsun wrote:

Are you using an external flash for all these photos? 

 


I've tried it with, and without -- Though I'm thinking I'm not a fan of the external flash I have anyways (it came with the camera) because no matter if i'm inside/outside or what I change the exposure to, it's still blindingly bright.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
👍
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
First thing when buying a used camera, or when camera doesn’t seem to be working correctly is a reset of camera settings and clearing all custom functions.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend
Okay Kido looks goodbye to go. Now start playing with the settings one at a time
EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Avatar
click here to view the press release
Announcements