Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selecting the AF Point Manually

henry001
Contributor

Hello Everyone.

I have one question regarding 5DSR.

I recenly purchased the camera and I noticed that I have to press AF Point Selection Button in order to select AF point manually. Yes I am aware that that is what the manual says.

However, with my previous cameras (1DIII/1DsIII/7D Mark II), I was able to move AF point wherever I wanted without pressing the above button, and it is waste of time when I tried to focus on say person's eye.

I have to say that when I can move focus points manually without pressing AF Point Selection Button, each AF point is in black. However when I press the button, each focus point illuminates with red.

Is there anything wroing with my 5DSR?

Thanks for your input.

12 REPLIES 12

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
Did you check the manual?
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Yes I did. As I mentioned it above, the manual says AF Selection Button needs to be pressed in order to manually select specific AF point. But with my previous cameras(1DIII,1Ds III,7D Mark II), I could select any specific point without pressing the above button.

Since its doing exactly what the manual says I would say camera is working properly. How previuos cameras you owned worked is not relevant to the new camera.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

You could say that, but I am not still convinced.

For example, you seem to own 1D Mark IV. Could you be able to check your camera and tell me what happned?

1D IV requires pressing the AF Point Selection bottom (top/right/back0 of camera and then turning the main input dial near shutter button.

Thats how my Rebels work as well.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Really? I just found out the following;

For example, at page 421 on 5DSR manual, and at page 453 on 7D Mark II manual, it explains how Direct AF Point Selection works. It says during metering, we can select an AF point directly using Multi Controller button to move around the AF point wherever you wish, and that was I was able to do so with 1D III/1Ds III/7D Mark II, but I was unable to do it on 5DSR.

Could you try it on your 1D Mark IV and let me know (I am not familair with Rebel models).

Here is manual for 1D Mark IV.

Capture.JPG

Hopefully someone who has a 5Ds sees this thread and can help you. I can't.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

No comment?

Announcements