cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selecting a target card for saving camera settings on an R3?

auknaud
Apprentice

I am attempting to use an SD card in my Canon R3 for the SOLE purpose of saving and storing camera settings while having the CFexpress card being the SOLE card that the camera writes images to. The problem I am encountering is while I set up the camera to write images to only card 1 (CFexpress) I cannot then go to save the camera settings to card 2 (SD). It defaults to card 1 for saving and I cannot find a way to switch the "save settings to" to card 2. If I remove Card 1 (CFexpress) and then try to write my settings (which include writing photo file to only card 1), the camera changes my write to settings to card 2 I guess because card 1 is now not in the camera. Any ideas or thoughts?

9 REPLIES 9

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

That wasn't possible on any of my 1D X bodies, so I would expect the same saving algorithm exists in other multiple card cameras. Why would you want to do that? 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

The reason for wanting to set it up this way is that i'd always have my settings for multiple types of shoots I do for quick recall. My settings between say a sporting event and real estate photography are going to vary greatly, so if I had last shot some real estate but then ended up at a game without realizing I hadn't changed my settings back, it would be easiest to just load those settings from a card that is always available. Another reason is I have had on rare occasions had my settings somehow get corrupted, so a quick reload would be ideal. I wonder why at the "save settings to card" tab they wont just allow you to choose your card to save to? Thanks!

I understand the reason for multiple settings. I have them. I just don’t understand why you don’t want to have them on your primary card. They don’t take up any significant space on the card. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Due to always formatting my cards.

When I format my cards after downloading images I am at my computer so it is easy for me to re-install all the configuration files from my PC to the card. 

I use my second card slot for backup images. 

I think you could set your camera up for save and playback from Card2, save all your config files, and then switch to playback from Card1. 

We each have our own workflows. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Yeah, wouldn't work for my workflow as many times I am using multiple cards per camera and runners are ingesting and sending to editors. Oh well... guess there is no way currently to accomplish what I was hoping to do.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

What if you setup a custom shooting mode for the exclusive purpose of saving settings?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Why waste one of the three custom shooting modes for that? I have seven camera settings configured for my camera. If I recall correctly the limit is eight. I copy them off my camera and save them in a folder on my computer. Then I can copy them back to my cards if I do a formatting operation. 

Before I got my 1D X Mk III I had the settings on an extra card (copied from the computer the card) that I carried in my card wallet. CFExpress cards are too expensive to use for that purpose. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

If you can R/W the camera configuration to a memory card, then you have an unlimited number of custom shooting modes available to you.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements