cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Saving edited images

olympiarocks200
Contributor

Hi everyone! I'm the brand new owner of a Canon 90D. I love the image quality I'm getting so far, but I'm having a few problems with editing- if, after copying files from the SD card to computer storage, I try to edit too many at a clip, they won't all save. I'm able to get them all done by editing/saving in batches (and I never delete the original images off the card before they're all saved, or try to edit them on the card- learned that the hard way!), but I'm wondering if this has to do with the size of the files- previously, the cameras I used produced files that were a third the size this beast makes. Is there anything I should be doing to be able to save the files with more ease?

13 REPLIES 13

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
Hi. Welcome to the forum.

Can you describe in more detail your process? What editing software?

Recommended process is to copy images from card to computer and then when images are downloaded to computer you can edit using your software.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thank you! It's good to be here. Here I'll admit I am, um, not much of a computer prodigy- I'm editing the pics with Microsoft 10. Problem is when I try to edit too many at once, it won't save them all. Could the software need an update?

Do you mean Microsoft Windows 10? If so, that's the operating system.  What software are you then using to edit the images? Microsoft Paint? Something else?

I suspect that if it's something like Paint, you have ultimately opened up several photos? And thus have multiple documents to now manage?

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Definitely Microsoft Office 10.

Microsoft office 2010, I mean.

Office wasn't designed to edit photos.  As John pointed out above, try Canon's free software instead.

While not free, I can also highly recommend Adobe Lightroom.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Many thanks! Lots to learn with this new machine. 🙂

IF you are editing RAW image files . . .

and IF you are using Canon's DPP4 RAW editing software . . .

DPP4 is a bit vague in it's descriptions of "SAVE" and "CONVERT & SAVE". Clicking SAVE will only save the edits you've made for a particular RAW image file. After editing, if you wish to create and save a jpeg copy of the image you need to do a CONVERT & SAVE. This can be done to a single file or you can choose multiple files and batch convert them.

Your PC should have a bit more "oomph" than the most basic models might have. It helps to have a decently fast processor (Intels seem to work better than AMDs for some reason) and maybe some more RAM. You may or may not need to add a graphics card of some type, especially if you're making lots of more complex edits and regularly converting large batches of RAW files.

Also, at one time, things seemed to get bogged down if you put a more than 50 or so RAW files in any one folder. I think this may have been more of an issue with earlier versions of DPP.

Thank you- I'm in for quite the learning curve here I suspect. Between the art, the science, and the technology, photography will give your brain a killer workout!

Announcements