cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SL2 won’t AF in M mode

Steps25
Apprentice

Hello

I have a SL2.   I hadn’t used it in a while. Auto focus is working when in scene mode or A+ mode. It will not auto focus in M mode or P mode. I have tried three lenses and it’s working the same for all three lenses. A canon 18 to 135 mm, canon 100 to 400 mm, sigma 100 to 400 mm. All lenses set to AF.   I could’ve sworn it auto focused in M mode before. Am I missing another setting on the camera or it’s just the way it works ? 
thanks

7 REPLIES 7

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Does the SL2 allow you to setup a button on the rear panel for BBF, Back Button Focus?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

It does. Thanks for that reminder. And it is focusing when using the bbf. Now , is there a setting somewhere to keep AF on the shutter button halfway press , like it works for my scene/a+ mode?  

Steps25,

I'm not an expert on these things, so don't hold me to this, but I'm pretty sure that the back button focus only works when you are in the Creative Zones, s, i.e. Manual, Aperture Priority, Shutter Speed Priority, etc.

When you are in the Basic Zones, Scene or Auto etc., the shutter button takes over your focusing.

Steve Thomas

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Why would you want to have BOTH of these?  The whole point of BBF is to remove the focus function from the shutter button, so that you can focus on one object but recompose and take the image,  The same applies to the auto exposure lock shown as a * button on the camera.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

I don’t know , I’m learning this stuff 😉 and I don’t really want both. I just want to know how to configure/set it in the menus to whichever I want. I like the focus on the shutter button because I mainly shoot wildlife & it’s more difficult to follow moving wildlife while using the BBF to focus and triggering the shutter. I can’t get it to do this in M mode anymore. I’m missing some setting 

edit; I think I figured it out so can set it however I want (shutter button or bbf). Within the menu, custom functions menu, shutter/ae lock menu. 

Well, if this helps, I started as a professional wildlife photographer about 40 years ago, and BBF is a huge benefit.  You can focus, recompose and take the shot.   Given you are new, there is inevitably some getting used to this, but it IS the way to go.

If you are getting started there are some things you need to consider:
Get your manual and review the material on focusing and particular AI Servo focus and focus tracking.  If you are following an animal, they are useful for letting you keep track of an animal as it moves

Here are some links to assist you:

Canon on BBF 

BBF explained and benefits 

Wildlife and BBF  - this is an excellent primer for wildlife photographers!

BBF setup for the Canon SL2 

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Great thanks so much!  Yeah I just realized I used to use bbf on continuous to track wildlife. It was driving me nuts figuring out why couldn’t get the same good shots with my autofocus settings. I have to go re read. Thanks 

Announcements