cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote shutter control for Rebel T3

AUricle
Contributor

Hi,

I'm planning on using my T3 coupled to a 1000mm telephoto lens to capture the total solar eclipse this summer.

But I don't want to spend the precious moments of totality fiddling with my camera. In fact, I don't want to even TOUCH the camera.

I've found software that automates a series of scripted time/exposure sequences when the camera is hooked to a laptop. It says it is compatible with The whole Rebel T and Ti series.

I'm doing this so that I can take many photo's quickly and pass the data directly to the computer, instead of getting the camera bogged down writing the data to a limited storage SD card. This should free up the camera to recover from bursts faster.

I see many many cabling solutions for mating the computer and camera, but they all seem to involve Canon models that use the TC-80N3 remote switch, but none with the RS-60E3 switch cable end to connect to my T3.

So, even though the software says it works with the T3, is there some limitation on the camera itself that prevents a solution to properly cable this project?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

21 REPLIES 21

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

The SD card is *much* faster than the USB cable or wireless!

The rebels can only use the wired remote like the RS-60E3. Actually, it looks like it can use the TC80N3 if you use the RA-E3 remote controller adapter - which I had never heard of until now. 8^)

You might be able to use an IR remote, but check your manual, I don't know about the T3.

The Canon EOS Utility should be able to do this, too.

Make sure to get a solar filter, unless it is really close to sunset:

182.JPG

Thanks for the quick reply.

The reason for bypassing the card is not the speed data is written to te card. It it's primarily due to the fact that when triggering an exposure via USB, the camera does not allow buffering. That limits you to the speed at which each exposure can be flushed out to the internal memory card. When using the shutter cable, images can be buffered in the camera's RAM before being written, allowing bursts of exposures at or near the maximum speed of the camera.. The solution, for modern serial port-less laptops,seems to be to cobble a USB to RS232 serial converter, from the computer, and then mate that with another serial receptacle with a cable that has the T3 2.5mm jack to plug into the camera.

Perhaps I'm not explaining the bottlenck correctly.

If you don't mind exploring this further, this is where the whole idea comes from:

[Removed link per Forum Community Guidelines]

Thanks for the EOS Utility steer. I'll have to give it a look-see, but the reason for the 3rd party software would be that it's specifically tailored with scripted camera commands for the various phases of the eclipse. Pick and choose and just click to set up a sequence. I have the feeling I'd have to build the whole script, one exposure at a time using the EOS Utility.

I know it's 'lazy', but time is valuable 😉

The EOS Utility allows you the option to save images to the card, to memory, or both.  I get the impression that you're trying to capture as many frames in the available time, as possible.

What post-processing software do you use?  Many do not know that Canon's DPP software can average several identical photos, which can cancel out some noise if you have a large enough sample of images. 

IMG_7598.jpg

The above image was stacked in Photoshop, but I used both PS and DPP to do the averaging on 40 photos.  Results were arguably the same, although PS seemed a little better with preserving the White Balance.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

"I get the impression that you're trying to capture as many frames in the available time, as possible."

Exactly!!

There is going to be a 280 sec. window.....the minute pre-totality...the 160 sec totality....and the minute post-totality that will yeild the most dramatic pics. The partial phases, coming and going, I want to sequence to put together to show the progression/regression of the entire event, but that I can do at 5 min. intervals.

It's just that 5 minute window that'll tax... to the max, the ability of my old friend the T3.

The mirror lock-up may be an issue. I need to do more research. That vibration could mess up the whole idea.

Btw- here is my source for solar disk image size, if you're interested:

http://www.mreclipse.com/SEphoto/SEphoto.html

Post shoot, well, I'm not 100% sure about processing but I have an older version of PS and also DPP.

I must confess to not using them much though...

@AUricle wrote:

"I get the impression that you're trying to capture as many frames in the available time, as possible."

Exactly!!

There is going to be a 280 sec. window.....the minute pre-totality...the 160 sec totality....and the minute post-totality that will yeild the most dramatic pics. The partial phases, coming and going, I want to sequence to put together to show the progression/regression of the entire event, but that I can do at 5 min. intervals.

It's just that 5 minute window that'll tax... to the max, the ability of my old friend the T3.

The mirror lock-up may be an issue. I need to do more research. That vibration could mess up the whole idea.

Btw- here is my source for solar disk image size, if you're interested:

http://www.mreclipse.com/SEphoto/SEphoto.html

Post shoot, well, I'm not 100% sure about processing but I have an older version of PS and also DPP.

I must confess to not using them much though...

You are confusing quantity with quality. You would be far better off taking fewer pictures, in order to stay within the limitations of your entry-level camera, An eclipse is not a sporting event. You're not trying to capture the exact millisecond when the steeplechase runner's foot clips the barrier. Eclipses are slow, and multiple pictures taken in rapid succession are a waste of effort.

Remember that National Geographic photographers and other serious professionals, all of whom are far better equipped than you are, will be there too. Competing with them is a fool's errand. You should set up your camera and tripod, capture what you see as the light changes, and hope to come away with good enough results to make it all worthwhile. You're much more likely to get pictures worth showing to your grandchildren if you don't try to overstretch yourself and your equipment.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Robert,

OUCH! Gee, .....and here I thought I had already dialed my expectations WAY back;-)

Point taken. Whether I want to or not, I'm beginning to believe my ambition is outrunning my ability. As it is, I thought my idea WAS a way to simplify a complex endevour, so that I could stand back and enjoy the event.

I know NAT GEO is far far better at this than I, but hey, I'm here to see what I can do, instead of always salivating over what THEY do.

I'm not trying to be hard-headed Rob, I just like to push myself. It's built-in.

That said, I may have no choice but to do it your way. I'm not so stubborn enough to refuse reality. But as long as there is an eye in the needle.........

@AUricle wrote:

Robert,

OUCH! Gee, .....and here I thought I had already dialed my expectations WAY back;-)

Point taken. Whether I want to or not, I'm beginning to believe my ambition is outrunning my ability. As it is, I thought my idea WAS a way to simplify a complex endevour, so that I could stand back and enjoy the event.

I know NAT GEO is far far better at this than I, but hey, I'm here to see what I can do, instead of always salivating over what THEY do.

I'm not trying to be hard-headed Rob, I just like to push myself. It's built-in.

That said, I may have no choice but to do it your way. I'm not so stubborn enough to refuse reality. But as long as there is an eye in the needle.........

I am NOT asking you to curb your ambition or stop stretching your capabilities. I'm just saying don't get in your own way.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Rob,

I understand....sometimes I just have to laugh at myself.

I know your advice is sound and given in the right spirit.

Trust me, I'm going to try to heed your words right up to the end.

I did find a vendor in SC who has the cabling I was looking for, but I worked with the EOS Utility today, and from what I'm seeing, the T3 is alittle slower than I imagined. Plus, as I thought about it, you were at least mostly right about the slowness of the eclipse in general. That 5 minutes around totality IS different, and a second or two can be critical, but I can be satisfied with less, while relaxing and taking it all in visually. 

"You are confusing quantity with quality. You would be far better off taking fewer pictures, in order to stay within the limitations of your entry-level camera, An eclipse is not a sporting event. You're not trying to capture the exact millisecond when the steeplechase runner's foot clips the barrier. Eclipses are slow, and multiple pictures taken in rapid succession are a waste of effort."

I think the more frames you can capture, the better.  You need to practice what you intend to do.  And, some moments do not last very long at all.

IMG_7296-HDR.jpg

Full eclipses have the "diamond ring" moment, which lasts only briefly, for just a moment or two.  I would compare it to the the above shot of the Sun just breaking the horizon. That moment when the sun was just a small jewel, came and went in about two seconds.  The exposure differences before, during, and after that moment were several Ev.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements