cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote photo capturing with EOS Rebel T6

FramerHaley
Apprentice

We have the T6 mounted to the ceiling in our business, and hooked up to AC power and USB to a laptop. We cannot figure out how to zoom in/out, adjust lighting, etc. when taking photos. These settings were controlled through a previous software for visualizing artwork, using a Canon PowerShot S5 IS camera. Our new visializing software no longer has these settings and the vendor tells us we should be able to control these settings in the Canon software. Help!!

6 REPLIES 6

You can probably solve everything else, but zooming in and out would require some sort of external mechanical device. It would almost certainly cost more, and be a lot more trouble, than replacing the T6 with another Powershot. If the vendor thinks you can zoom remotely, let him show you how to do it. If he can't, then make him take the camera back.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Only the 18-135 EF-S IS USM has power zoom capability with an adapter, and that adapter works remotely via wifi only on the 80D. On all other cameras it power zooms only by hands-on.

As Bob says, they sold you the wrong tool (assuming you just purchased it as a replacement for the other camera.)

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Back to the settings in the EOS Utility. I see in the documentation that I should be able to change settings on the EOS Utility screen. On mine, the settings don't open anything when I click on them. Also, some of the buttons towards the top of the EOS Utility screen are shaded out. I also do not see a preview of what I am taking a photo of. 

@FramerHaley wrote:

Back to the settings in the EOS Utility. I see in the documentation that I should be able to change settings on the EOS Utility screen. On mine, the settings don't open anything when I click on them. Also, some of the buttons towards the top of the EOS Utility screen are shaded out. I also do not see a preview of what I am taking a photo of. 

Could you be more specific?  What settings do feel you should be able to change but are shaded out?  What buttons are you clicking on?  Does it actually take a photo?

It does not sound like you camera is actually connected.  Make sure "Wi-Fi" is disabled in the camera.  It needs to be in USB mode.  Are you able to upload photos to your computer from the camera?  

Are you connecting the camera to the computer, and then turning on the camera?  Have you read the manual?  Did you know that is possible to disable previews on Canon DSLRs?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
As wadizzle advises, the most common cause of connectivity problems is not turning off wifi when connecting via USB.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@FramerHaley wrote:

We have the T6 mounted to the ceiling in our business, and hooked up to AC power and USB to a laptop. We cannot figure out how to zoom in/out, adjust lighting, etc. when taking photos. These settings were controlled through a previous software for visualizing artwork, using a Canon PowerShot S5 IS camera. Our new visializing software no longer has these settings and the vendor tells us we should be able to control these settings in the Canon software. Help!!

I do know which lenses you are using, but if you are not using a lens with a motor on the zoom ring and focusing ring, then controlling it remotely is next to impossible.  The typical lens that come in a T6 camera kit are not able to be remotely controlled.  Only the lens aperture is controlled by the camera.  This is normal for DSLR lenses.

[EDIT]  I say take it back, and get a another PowerShot camera, one with motorized zoom and focus, like your old PowerShot.  Whether or not you can do tethered control with a PowerShot is an entirely different matter.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements