cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebel t6i - live view button broken?

chibidani
Apprentice

I have a Rebel t6i. I got it used about 4 months ago. This weekend, when preparing for a trip, it all of a sudden started not working...
I turn my camera on, and I can see through the viewfinder. The LCD displays the settings for the current mode, and I can change shooting modes. I press the shutter button, and I can take photos just fine, and they will display on the LCD. The problem happens when I push the "Live View" button. The LCD goes black; I can still see through the viewfinder, but pushing the shutter button doesn't take a photo. I hit the "Live View" button again, and the LCD switches back to displaying settings, but the camera is still frozen and won't take pictures. To reset, I have to turn the camera off, eject the battery, wait minimum 3 seconds, and then put the battery back in and turn the camera back on. I leave in 4 days, and don't have time to send it in for repair...
(Yes, I also sent an email to Canon support, but figured I could ask here too.)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

If you can see through the viewfinder when selecting Live View it means the mirror hasn't moved up. Since you are going away shortly just use the camera as a normal DSLR. Don’t use Live View. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

If you can see through the viewfinder when selecting Live View it means the mirror hasn't moved up. Since you are going away shortly just use the camera as a normal DSLR. Don’t use Live View. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Thank you for explaining simply what the problem is!
I have figured out how to disable Live View, and will use the camera as a straight DSLR.

I recommend you give the camera a good "workover" using the normal viewfinder shooting mode to be sure that the problem is limited to the Live View switch and not a problem with the mirror assembly itself, just to be sure. If this is a very important trip you might want to consider a rental/borrow of a similar camera.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Announcements