cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebel T7 Upgrade options

Havocide
Contributor
I'm going to upgrade from the T7 in the near future. I have a $1400 budget. I've been eyeballing and looking at reviews for two cameras in my price range. What are your guys thoughts on these two? I enjoy doing landscape and wildlife.

*EOS 90D
*Canon EOS RP Full-frame Mirrorless
10 REPLIES 10

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

What lenses do you have?

What does the T7 *not* do that you would expect to get out of a new camera?

Havocide
Contributor
I currently only have an EFS 18-55 and a Tamron AF 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 SP Di VC USD XLD. Looking for something with a little more mp and faster shooting capability.

I think you are going to have to step up to the 90D is you want more MP. Even the latest Rebel T8i is still a 24MP sensor.

How large are you enlarging/printing? If you aren't doing a lot of cropping or printing larger than 13x19 24MP should be adequate for most uses.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

"I currently only have an EFS 18-55 and a Tamron AF 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 SP Di VC USD XLD"

I love the idea of upgrading to the 90D.  But lets think about this for a moment.  Quite frankly the two lenses you have are not the best and maybe a time to upgrade them too.  Buying into a 90D to keep using these lenses will certainly work but is it the right way to go. The 90D is well beyond an entry level camera. You want to strap it to these entry level lenses?

Perhaps a more costly investment right now will be a savings down the road. If, you take a look at and buy one of the new R series camera.  They are the future.  And, there is a Canon Mount Adapter EF-EOS R if you want to put the lens upgrade off for a while and use your ef-s 18-55mm.  Not sure the Tammy will adapt!

Its time to go mirrorless, my friend. Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

"Looking for something with a little more mp and faster shooting capability."

If this your true goal, the RP is only 26MP vs 24MP and 5 frames/sec vs 3 frames/sec.

Is that gain worth your whole budget?

Canon has said that their future development will be in the R line, but the two top tier EF line cameras (1D X Mark III and 90D) are excellent performers and one would need to have some very niche lens needs to not be able to fine a suitable EF series lens.

How immediate is your need and what time frame would you need to save for an R5? Or what are your end use needs - an R6 will give you a big boost in shooting speed and comparable but better quality megapixels. I have a 1D X Mark III; 20MP but I can crop and still get quality 13x19 prints. R6 has the same sensor.

Post Your R6 Images Here - FM Forums (fredmiranda.com)

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Havocide
Contributor
Thanks John.

Havocide
Contributor
I have two choices, either work with the lenses I have and upgrade to a better body or... Keep the T7 and buy a Sigma 100-600 contemporary. My budget is set. However I did notice that the EOS RP comes with a 24-105mm. I guess I could sell the T7 with the kit lens and 300mm and put that towards a Sigma 600mm.

The bottom line is you are far better of and going to be cheaper in the long run to go "R" series. Like I mentioned there is an adapter for your old lenses if you so choose.

The idea of adding the big Siggy is a good one!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Havocide
Contributor
ebiggs1 what are your thoughts on the EOS RP? That would be the only mirrorless that would fit my budget.
Announcements