cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebel T5 back button focus with Shutter button only taking picture?

April41
Apprentice

Hi

I have a Rebel T5

I'm a beginner and learning landscape photography. I want to shoot in Aperture priority mode but I want to set everything else up and after that I don't want the camera to change any of the setting I set.  I want to use back button focus and I want the shutter button to only take the picture without adjusting the metering.  Basically, I want these buttons on my camera to only have one function. Is there any way to set this up in custom functions or will the shutter button always adjust the metering?

here is a picture of what I'm looking at.  

Thanks for your help in advance!

IMG_4026.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

"If you do not want the camera to alter your exposure settings, then you need to use Manual shooting mode."

This is the correct answer and so simple.  Don't try to make things more difficult if you don't need to. Sometimes auto this or that is not the answer.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

I don't believe you can do back button focus on a Rebel.

Ray-uk
Whiz

On the menu screen that you show select option 1, this will enable back button focus. There are various videos on youtube explaining this if you need more information.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Annotation 2020-09-04 154747.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

If you do not want the camera to alter your exposure settings, then you need to use Manual shooting mode.  You may also want to use a custom color temperature for your White Balance, too.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

"If you do not want the camera to alter your exposure settings, then you need to use Manual shooting mode."

This is the correct answer and so simple.  Don't try to make things more difficult if you don't need to. Sometimes auto this or that is not the answer.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

April41
Apprentice
Thank you all so much for taking the time to help me. Manual mode it is!
Announcements