cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebel T3i Recording Time cuts off at 12m 12sec

mikeadkins
Apprentice

Is there anyway I can get my Canon Rebel T3i recording longer than 12m and 12 seconds?  Here is what I have done so far.  I have an external power supply finding the camera, so it is not battery life.  I purchased a High Speed SD Card - SanDisk 64GB Extreme PRO SDXC UHS-I Memory Card - C10, U3, V30, 4K UHD, SD Card - SDSDXXU-064G-GN4IN, and this did not resolve the issue.  
Recording 1920x1080. 30FPS.
Card was formatted in the camera. 
Video Systrem NTSC
Remote Control is disabled.
Auto Shut off Turned Off.
Plenty of room on the card. 

From what I read the camera is supposed to record up to 29 minutes.  So why is it only recording 12 minutes and Automatically Stopped Recording?

Any help sure would be appreciated. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

Hi Mike and welcome to the forum:

I would check your video file sizes. The camera has a recording limit of 4GB and if it reaches that before the time limit it will stop recording then.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

Hi Mike and welcome to the forum:

I would check your video file sizes. The camera has a recording limit of 4GB and if it reaches that before the time limit it will stop recording then.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Update, I remembered Magic Lantern from years ago.  It is an open-source camera program.  I found it still available and actively being updated.  It overcomes the 4k Limit by starting the recording when the 4k limit is reached.  So, you would end up with multiple 4k files but that in most cases including mine would be workable.  Thanks for your recommendation, it lead me down the right path.  There is still hope for my T3i.

mikeadkins
Apprentice

Tronhard, Well that was it.  That sucks.  Now have to find a camera that does not have that limit.  I was afraid of something like that.  Sad, I did not know that before I made further investments in this camera.  Sad rally, considering the iPhone does not have such a limitation.  

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

There is also a 29 minute limit due to export/import restrictions, so be aware of that.

Announcements