cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebel T3 to 70D

jdundas
Contributor

Hello, thanks in advance for your input if you decide to read and reply. 

I currently have a rebel t3, an EFS 18-55mm 4.5, and an EFS 55-250mm lense. It has been a great first DSLR, but I feel greatly held back by the setup. I have been shooting for 4 years now and have come a long way and feel that an upgrade in either lenses or a body (OR BOTH) would improve my photos. I am getting into timelapse and hyperlapse photography as well as some filming too. I am looking for crisper, higher quality images and I just feel like the T3 is holding me back of my potential. 

Would going from the T3 to a 70D be a nice upgrade? I also need this to be affordable. I figured I could sell my in perfect condition T3 for 150-200 and buy a referbished or new 70D for 700-800. Or, is would there be a different body you guys would recommend? Would it even make sense to sell the lenses too and start fresh with new lenses?

I appreciate your inpute,

Jeff

28 REPLIES 28

Bob from Boston,

"... an excellent eye for composition ..."

An attribute mostly lost on this forum.  Gear can only take you so far but good gear can take you farther. Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Bob from Boston,

An attribute mostly lost on this forum.  Gear can only take you so far but good gear can take you farther. Smiley Happy

I'm not much for sloganeering, but there's one observation I think holds up pretty well: Better equipment will make any photographer better, but how much better depends on how good you already are. The better you are, the more difference better equipment makes.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Bob from Boston,

I'm not much for sloganeering, but there's one observation I think holds up pretty well: Better equipment will make any photographer better, but how much better depends on how good you already are. The better you are, the more difference better equipment makes.

"However, there is no substitute for good technique, either.  Bad technique trumps a quality lens, every day of the week."

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Bob from Boston,

"However, there is no substitute for good technique, either.  Bad technique trumps a quality lens, every day of the week."

Well, I guess that was my point. If you have bad technique, better equipment won't help you much. But if your technique is good, you can take fuller advantage of better equipment.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

jdundas
Contributor

Thank you all for all the input, I appreciate it. The photography community is full of very nice and helpful people. It's a shame I am a broke college student, otherwise I would have the funds for a better setup! Here are some of the shots I have taken with my T3 and the 17-55 3..5 and 55-250 3.5 lenses I have. Unfortunately they are not the original high quality files because I had to pull them off my facebook page.

413744_312180148824124_1482439784_o (2).jpg

478152_342115295830609_597747608_o.jpg1009067_650561171652685_1794058464_o.jpg

Nice.

There are some specific threads on the forum that you can display your photos.  More folks would probably see them there.

I know there is a Landscapes and Macro thread for instance.

EB

Good i'll look into that! Out of curiosity, Is it against the forum rules to post photos in non-picture designated areas of the forum?

-Jeff

Nope.  They will let you know or delete anything that violates rules.

EB

You've gotten an awful lot of really good advice so far and I can't add a whole lot, however, two things come to mind. Personally I don't care for the articulated LCD screen. Seems to me only a matter of time before I would have broken it completely off from the camera.  Second thing: this type of conversation reminds me of advice I received from my old German farmer Dad, who probably had the first dollar he ever earned stashed away. As tight as he was, when he did need to buy or upgrade a piece of equipment his mantra was: "buy more than you think you need". "Be it a tractor or a chain saw, sooner or later you'll wish you had a bigger better one".  

Good luck and enjoy the process!

Announcements