cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebel T3 not compatible with Windows 8

SA32
Apprentice

My 2012 Rebel T 3 is not compatible with a newly purchased Toshiba laptop with Windows 8. 

What can I do to "fix" this?

7 REPLIES 7

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Not sure what you mean; there are no drivers required for the T3.

Have you installed the latest versions of the software you use to download photos - ZoomBrowser or ImageBrowser?

If you elaborate on the issues the forum can be of more help.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I am not 100% sure but I don't believe any software comes with the Rebel T3. I was helping a Mom the other day with a T3 and the manual was all that was on her DVD.

At any rate Win 8 will see the T3 by USB. You must have the T3 off before you connect it. Connect it and then turn on the camera. Or, another option, is a card reader. Your laptop may already have one.

There are no drivers needed for Win 8, or Win 8.1 or even Win 7.  Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I am having the same problem.I have a new Canon Rebel T3i and when I upload the pictures from the usb cord onto the computer (windows 7), it shows the pictures loading, then when I go to view them, a message pops up that says it is not compatible with my computer.My friend tried just the sd card on her laptop and it said there were no images and there are images on it.I have used a Rebel for years and never had a problem, i get a new Rebel T3i and it is  useless because I can not view the pictures. I also took the memory card to Walmart to have prints made and it said there were no images.I'm confused and the people at Best Buy acted like I was a nut, said they never heard of this problem before.I am no computer geek, I acually hate copmuters with a pasion!I am grateful for any help I can get.

OK. now let's take this logically.  First off thousand's of people use a Rebel T3i and their computer.  So we know it works,

now we need to figure out why yours is not working.

Here is my understanding;

You have a brand new T3i with a brand new SD card (a high quality card like a Snadisk?).  You have formatted that SD card with your camera, nothing else?  Your camera is set to record jpg files?  All other defaults are what the factory set them?

You have a new or known good USB cabel?  The camera is off and you plug in the USB cabel from the T3i to your computer?  And the USB port on your computer is working well?  Turn on the camera.  Windoze acknowledges this.  You open "This PC" icon and it shows your camera.  Click an dopen the folder on hte SD card where the pictures are stored.

You don't need any additional software except what is already there to see the pictures.  If not did you not do any of the above mentioned requirements?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ScottyP
Authority
I hate using the cable. It wastes camera charge and seems to go slower.

Also, I hate letting get computer pop-up handle the transfer because it is clueless as to what the files are and asks what program to open them with and then it just stores them wherever it feels is right. Doing it manually is simpler.

If your camera does not have a card reader, you can buy one almost anywhere (Best Buy, Wal Mart, Target) for cheap.

Create a file on your hard drive (c:drive) for photos. Make a new folder in that file For every batch of pictures. Name it by the date and a brief description (2014-10-03; pumpkin patch and dogs).

open My computer and open the photo file on C: drive.

Open My Computer again and then open the card reader drive. You now have 2 open windows you can make small and next to each other. Highlight all your files on the card reader. Drag and drop them into the folder you made to hold them. Bingo.

If you don't have a post processing program like Canon's DPP or Adobe Lightroom, you can open the photos in windows slide show or a paint or probably some others.
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

@ScottyP wrote:
... If your camera does not have a card reader, you can buy one almost anywhere (Best Buy, Wal Mart, Target) for cheap.

I believe you mean to say, "If your computer does not have a card reader, ..."

Please forgive me for being picky. It's just that this is a confusing topic to the uninitiated, and the question of what's done in the camera and what isn't, is fairly central to the discussion.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Robert:

Thanks, Yes. I meant to say they should get a card reader for their computers, not for their cameras. You take the card out of the camera and plug it into the card reader.
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?
Announcements