cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebel T3 Weird Pixel Line In Most Photos

ashtonp9
Apprentice

Hey guys, I picked up a Rebel T3 in a trade from a guy who said he used it one time and no issues, then most of the pics I take it has some weird pixel line across the middle area but not always. See photo, for example, no settings changed at all between pics. I already cleaned the sensor and factory reset and it's still there. Brand new to photography so don't know much about this stuff, any help is appreciated!

IMG_9849-min.JPG

see the line top right

IMG_9850-min.JPG

see no line here

11 REPLIES 11

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

You should not have attempted to clean the sensor.  

The sensor appears to be defective.  That is an older model, one which I think is no longer serviced and supported by Canon USA.  There are other outlets that could possibly do the repair, but I fear the actual cost would be more than buying a used camera of the same model.

I suggest that you try a new memory card.  Format it in the camera, and hope for the best.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Welcome to the forum. 

Can you upload a sample RAW file with and without the line to DropBox or One Drive and post the link?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"You should not have attempted to clean the sensor."

2nd this. Also it is not a firmware issue so don't try to reinstall it. If you bought a new SD card, formatted it, reset the camera completely, there is little else you can try.

The good news is, you can easily edit that out in post edit, for now.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Yeah just tried a fresh formatted card and same thing, well thanks for the replies guys, I got ahold of the guy and he said he already did a bunch of mods to the rc car I traded him and basically told me to get lost. 

If you are using Lightroom it is very quick to remove the defect.

https://www.google.com/search?q=draw+straight+line+clone+path+in+Lightroom&oq=draw+straight+line+clo...

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Noted twice now! Smiley Happy

"The good news is, you can easily edit that out in post edit, for now."

"If you are using Lightroom it is very quick to remove the defect."

EB

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

You didn't hurt anything by cleaning the sensor (and they really aren't that difficult to clean without causing damage, it isn't like working with nitroglycerin).  But a line that shows up so perfectly and in the same place in a set of photos isn't from sensor dirt, a malfunctioning memory card, or anything in the settings. 

There is an intermittent issue with the sensor, A/D converter, buffer, or memory write/control section to cause a line to show up in the same place in multiple images.  For a T3, it isn't going to be worth the cost of repair and I suspect Canon would return it as not economically feasible to repair if you sent it in for service.

Hopefully you can unwrap the trade, the problem is likely to grow over time.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

"You didn't hurt anything by cleaning the sensor ..."

Poor advice Rodger. You can hurt things inside the mirror box if not done carefully. Perhaps you are correct the OP didn't hurt anything or cause this issue.  But the possibility for a new to photography to do damage is there.

Common issue is damage to the foam rubber shock absorber. I know of one individual that used so much alcohol she drenched everything inside.

EB
Announcements