cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebel SL2 shutter

Mightyalpaca
Contributor
Hello,
Looking for some help with my shutter. I've reset all my settings to try and fix the problem but no luck. When in picture taking mode, the shutter simply will not take a picture no matter what the camera is set to (auto, manual, whatever) but the touch shutter by touching the screen works. Also whenever I turn on the camera it takes a picture on its own, but the screen remains black until I push the shutter button.
14 REPLIES 14

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Reset the camera to factory settings.  Menus, tools, clear all settings and also clear all custom settings. Put the SL2 in P mode and try again. Lens switch on AF.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@Mightyalpaca wrote:
Hello,
Looking for some help with my shutter. I've reset all my settings to try and fix the problem but no luck. When in picture taking mode, the shutter simply will not take a picture no matter what the camera is set to (auto, manual, whatever) but the touch shutter by touching the screen works. Also whenever I turn on the camera it takes a picture on its own, but the screen remains black until I push the shutter button.

I doubt if the camera is taking picture on its' own. What do these pictures look like?  Can you play them back?   It sounds more like the camera is in video mode.  Check the video mode switch and reset the camera.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Mightyalpaca
Contributor
It is taking a picture of whatever the camera is pointed at as soon as I turn it on. They save to the SD card and I have to keep deleting them as it happens literally every time I turn on my camera

Mightyalpaca
Contributor
As stated I already reset all my settings and it won't shoot in any mode with the shutter. New update, it's now taking pictures by itself after the screen timeout tells the camera to sleep and is also saving these to the SD card as well

I suggest that you contact Canon Support.  

What do the pictures look like that it is taking by itself?  

Mightyalpaca
Contributor
It's a regular picture of whatever the camera happened to be pointed at at the time

@Mightyalpaca wrote:
It's a regular picture of whatever the camera happened to be pointed at at the time

Are you certain your camera is not in Movie or Live View mode?  I suggest you contact Canon Support.  Be prepared to answer many of the same questions all over again.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Turn the camera off. 

Remove the battery. 

Press the shutter button. 

Replace the battery. 

Turn camera on. 

If problem persists call Canon at 1-800-OK-CANON. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Might as well just call Canon right now. That ain't gonna help.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements