cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RAW photos from EOS Rebel T7 back to darkening again

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

Thought this was over and done but RAW photos taken yesterday will darken after a couple of seconds. JPEG photos are not affected. Many photos taken before at other times are OK but the situation is back. The photos were taken in bright outdoor light if that would make a difference. I went to manual on some (faster lens speed and increased ISO) but no change. Your help and advice is welcome.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG
10 REPLIES 10

Danny

Hi, Tintype_18!  Are these photos that were taken on your EOS Rebel T7 or something else?

My oversight- Canon T7. Let me answer two replies.

1. John, photos are viewed in File Explorer.

2. Trevor, I view the CR2 photo and after a few seconds, it darkens several shades like the photo setting is in the shade. There is no progression of darkening from one photo to another.

3. Will work on a couple of CR2 photos with PSE 2021 and see what happens.

Edit: I downloaded a CR2 photo on PSE 2021...and it looked good with no darkening as seen on FE.

Attaching the correspondingIMG_0187.JPG jpeg photo.

I have been downloading photos to FE but am open to other ways to download/save/edit. Thanks.

John

Sounds to me like normal behavior. Each RAW converter is different and FE may not boost the level as much as others. If download and use Canon DPP its free and the RAW files will look like your camera JPEGs. You can sort and do everything in DPP. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

I must have missed your first thread on this, so forgive me if I appear ignorant!  When you say the RAW photos darken after a few seconds, do you mean that the images viewed after shooting darken when being viewed, or do you mean that as you progressively take photos shots are under-exposed.

I am assuming the latter, but better to appear a fool than make an assumption.  If you could post, say three images: one showing the first in the series, then a couple getting progressively darker, that might be helpful.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Can you upload one of the RAW files to a sharing service like Dropbox or One Drive?

Where are you viewing the RAW files - DPP or some other software?

How dark is “darken”?

Depending on the software, when first viewing a RAW file the embedded JPEG is what is seen first and then the software renders the RAW file and shows that. Most software other than DPP can’t read any special settings that were applied in camera.  This is most easily seen if you set Picture Style to Monochrome. The initial image would be B&W and as soon as the RAW file is rendered it turns to color. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Peter
Authority
Authority

Because Tintype_18 didn't upload any raw samples, here is a CC0 one from a T7 https://raw.pixls.us/getfile.php/3329/nice/Canon%20-%20EOS%20Rebel%20T7%20-%20RAW%20(3:2).CR2

JPEG

Canon - EOS Rebel T7 - RAW (3 2).thumb.jpg

Is this one also dark?

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

Thanks, John. I had downloaded a bunch of photos before and the CR2 photos didn't darken. I'll look into DPP for downloading. I tried to download a CR2 but wouldn't accept the photo. Maybe due to the FE?

John

If you haven't done any customizing of your default apps File Explorer is probably configured to use the Windows Photos app as the default app for .CR2 files.

I just tried opening a few .CR2 files using Photos and yes, for some, it initially is a certain brightness and after a second or two it does decrease in brightness; not a lot, but noticeable. Other files it didn't change at all.

You could have your grandson configure your computer to choose any program you want as the default program to open .CR2 files. If you like Photoshop Elements he could select that one.

Screenshot 2022-09-17 094625.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Back in the early days, someone had posted how to use an app that would download RAW and jpeg photos. Thanks for the screenshot!

Located DPP4 to the taskbar for easy access.

John
Announcements