cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RAW image recording / lens abberation correction

character_stops
Enthusiast

My question involves which image-recording quality matters when one is planning to use lens correction data. Although one of EOS Utility manuals mentions how Digital Photo Professional can resolve peripheral aberrations, it only mentions chromatic corrections only for images such as those recorded RAW. What precisely are right and wrong recording quality choices, in regard to their correlation to the correction data that software uses to fix aberrations? 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Peripheral illumination correction merely corrects optical vignetting that's inherent to many lenses. In other words, it corrects the eveness of illumination across the entire image frame, where without it the corners and edges of the image might be a little darker than the center of the image. It's most common in wide angle lenses.

Distortion and chromatic aberration corrections are only applied in-camera when you process RAW files into JPEGs. So, in other words, if you want them done in-camera you must have the camera set to produce JPEG or to RAW+JPEG for these corrections to be applied.

The same corrections can be applied during post-processing by Canon Digital Photo Pro RAW conversion software. If you had the corrections enabled in-camera, then allow DPP software to process "as shot", it will apply them the same way as if it were in-camera. Alternatively, you can manually override the corrections in post-processing.

Many other post-processing RAW conversion softwares can do similar. For example, Adobe Lightroom (Adobe Camera Raw) has a lot of lens correction profiles built in that can be applied automatically, as well as manual controls for all three types of correction. DXO software appears to be an even more advanced lens correction software.

If done in post-processing, the end result from the RAW conversion can be a file type other than 8 bit JPEG, such as 16 bit TIF or PSD, etc. If the processing is done in-camera, you can only get JPEG files.

I hope this makes sense.

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & EXPOSUREMANAGER 

View solution in original post

I just don't understand the point of having check boxes in those editing programs. It seems as long as you wouldn't touch any of the modifiers (sliders, etc.) it wouldn't affect any corrections already made in camera. So why bother unchecking the box for either correction?

DPP, as well as the other programs, provides more versitile corrections as well as stronger corrections.....than the Camera provides, and many are not in camera.  Most (including me) would use the corrections in the software programs as opposed to in Camera corrections in most situations.  Corrections are in the camera mostly for those without access to a Pc for editing, or for those times when you just prefer to use in camera processing for one reason or the other.  I myself may use in camera processing when uploading pics to someone's Pc.  If one has Wi-Fi you could send your edited Pics to a printer.  Even if you set your corrections to "enable" in camera, you can still overide them in post editing.

View solution in original post

25 REPLIES 25

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Can you post a screen shot of the section you are asking about, or at least the page number of the manual (and which version.)

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Screen Shot 2015-07-01 at 3.15.44 PM.png

This is from the EOS Utility Disk Manual, p.24. It looks like data is REGISTERED or DELETED when it comes to peripheral illumination correction. Only in the parenthesis afterwards, does it mention chromatic correction, where there are other aberrations mentioned that don't really concern me. What does, however, are the terms that chromatic data is said to be USED during RAW processing on the camera. So, does that mean chromatic aberrations are fixed on the camera and not by the digital photo professional software only as long as you are shooting RAW? Also, could you correct peripheral illumination only with the software AFTER shooting RAW or can it be just a JPEG?

Peripheral illumination correction merely corrects optical vignetting that's inherent to many lenses. In other words, it corrects the eveness of illumination across the entire image frame, where without it the corners and edges of the image might be a little darker than the center of the image. It's most common in wide angle lenses.

Distortion and chromatic aberration corrections are only applied in-camera when you process RAW files into JPEGs. So, in other words, if you want them done in-camera you must have the camera set to produce JPEG or to RAW+JPEG for these corrections to be applied.

The same corrections can be applied during post-processing by Canon Digital Photo Pro RAW conversion software. If you had the corrections enabled in-camera, then allow DPP software to process "as shot", it will apply them the same way as if it were in-camera. Alternatively, you can manually override the corrections in post-processing.

Many other post-processing RAW conversion softwares can do similar. For example, Adobe Lightroom (Adobe Camera Raw) has a lot of lens correction profiles built in that can be applied automatically, as well as manual controls for all three types of correction. DXO software appears to be an even more advanced lens correction software.

If done in post-processing, the end result from the RAW conversion can be a file type other than 8 bit JPEG, such as 16 bit TIF or PSD, etc. If the processing is done in-camera, you can only get JPEG files.

I hope this makes sense.

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & EXPOSUREMANAGER 

Thanks for the input, man. I understand the difference now - that illumination corrections are in camera no matter what the image quality setting is - that you would have to either shot in RAW or L + RAW for the camera to process the chromatic corrections. Either way, I can see the post-process corrections available, at least in Lightroom, Photoshop and DPP. If I ever uncheck chromatic aberration correction, it will be to avoid decreasing the maximum burst for continuous shots. I just don't understand the point of having check boxes in those editing programs. It seems as long as you wouldn't touch any of the modifiers (sliders, etc.) it wouldn't affect any corrections already made in camera. So why bother unchecking the box for either correction?

I just don't understand the point of having check boxes in those editing programs. It seems as long as you wouldn't touch any of the modifiers (sliders, etc.) it wouldn't affect any corrections already made in camera. So why bother unchecking the box for either correction?

DPP, as well as the other programs, provides more versitile corrections as well as stronger corrections.....than the Camera provides, and many are not in camera.  Most (including me) would use the corrections in the software programs as opposed to in Camera corrections in most situations.  Corrections are in the camera mostly for those without access to a Pc for editing, or for those times when you just prefer to use in camera processing for one reason or the other.  I myself may use in camera processing when uploading pics to someone's Pc.  If one has Wi-Fi you could send your edited Pics to a printer.  Even if you set your corrections to "enable" in camera, you can still overide them in post editing.

The EU info is not clearly stated. While many EOS DSLRs can apply peripheral illumination correction to JPEGs, certain cameras (6D, 5D Mark III, 1D X,) and maybe some others, can process RAW files in camera and apply lens aberration correction. There is a special menu option for RAW file processing. This is different than shooting RAW+JPEG.

Most RAW files downloaded to DPP can have full aberration correction applied if the lens/camera combination is supported by DPP.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

A couple things to remember is, adjustments are not applied  when shooting RAW.  You do that in post.  The camera does make a small data file that is used to make a jpg.  This is displayed on the LCD.  It is used to make a viewable picture on your computer, too.

And, in PS or LR the lens correction is adjustable.  You can use the default settings provided by Adobe and/or you can change them to suit yourself.

lens correction.jpg

If I understand what you are asking.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2011/whats_new_eos60d_incamera_article.shtml

Some cameras will do in-camera RAW processing, which is what the EOS Utility section was addressing.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

One thing not mentioned is the feature in Canon Cameras will not work with 3rd party lens, least not with mine.  I have  the Canon 60D with the "Peripheral Illumin. Correct" setting/feature, and it only works with my "Canon Lens".  It won't work with "all" Canon lens.  Only works with the ones that my camera has lens data for.    My 60D does'nt have lens data for my EF 70-300mm L lens, but DPP does.    If one has a 3r party lens, you have to use post software for that.   Canon DPP does not have 3rd party lens data either.  John is correct.   Some cameras, as well as my 60D, will do RAW to JPEG processing in Camera.

Announcements