cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RAW image recording / lens abberation correction

character_stops
Enthusiast

My question involves which image-recording quality matters when one is planning to use lens correction data. Although one of EOS Utility manuals mentions how Digital Photo Professional can resolve peripheral aberrations, it only mentions chromatic corrections only for images such as those recorded RAW. What precisely are right and wrong recording quality choices, in regard to their correlation to the correction data that software uses to fix aberrations? 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Peripheral illumination correction merely corrects optical vignetting that's inherent to many lenses. In other words, it corrects the eveness of illumination across the entire image frame, where without it the corners and edges of the image might be a little darker than the center of the image. It's most common in wide angle lenses.

Distortion and chromatic aberration corrections are only applied in-camera when you process RAW files into JPEGs. So, in other words, if you want them done in-camera you must have the camera set to produce JPEG or to RAW+JPEG for these corrections to be applied.

The same corrections can be applied during post-processing by Canon Digital Photo Pro RAW conversion software. If you had the corrections enabled in-camera, then allow DPP software to process "as shot", it will apply them the same way as if it were in-camera. Alternatively, you can manually override the corrections in post-processing.

Many other post-processing RAW conversion softwares can do similar. For example, Adobe Lightroom (Adobe Camera Raw) has a lot of lens correction profiles built in that can be applied automatically, as well as manual controls for all three types of correction. DXO software appears to be an even more advanced lens correction software.

If done in post-processing, the end result from the RAW conversion can be a file type other than 8 bit JPEG, such as 16 bit TIF or PSD, etc. If the processing is done in-camera, you can only get JPEG files.

I hope this makes sense.

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & EXPOSUREMANAGER 

View solution in original post

I just don't understand the point of having check boxes in those editing programs. It seems as long as you wouldn't touch any of the modifiers (sliders, etc.) it wouldn't affect any corrections already made in camera. So why bother unchecking the box for either correction?

DPP, as well as the other programs, provides more versitile corrections as well as stronger corrections.....than the Camera provides, and many are not in camera.  Most (including me) would use the corrections in the software programs as opposed to in Camera corrections in most situations.  Corrections are in the camera mostly for those without access to a Pc for editing, or for those times when you just prefer to use in camera processing for one reason or the other.  I myself may use in camera processing when uploading pics to someone's Pc.  If one has Wi-Fi you could send your edited Pics to a printer.  Even if you set your corrections to "enable" in camera, you can still overide them in post editing.

View solution in original post

25 REPLIES 25

Can't you upload the correction data using the EOS Lens Utility?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

Can't you upload the correction data using the EOS Lens Utility?

Yes, i suppose so if Canon supplies them in EOS utility.  I use DPP.   But all they have available is data for 30 or so lens at this time.  I downloaded all they include to DPP (in lens update option).  As I said, they don't have data for my EF 70-300mm L, in my camera..  DPP includes more lens data than my camera ,but even in DPP some newer, and alot of older lens data, has been excluded.  They may add more in the future.

My error; I thought if DPP could download the data it could be uploaded to the camera. I know thats the case for my 1D Mark IV.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

My error; I thought if DPP could download the data it could be uploaded to the camera. I know thats the case for my 1D Mark IV.

I suppose it varies in different models, I can only speak for my 60D, have'nt checked for all the others.  Depends, if a camera has that option, some do, some don't.  You have a Pro Grade Body.

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

Hey John, you are right my friend.....My Error.  I checked again my Canon Software and discovered that my "Lens Registration Tool", was no longer installed in EOS Utility.  I faintly remember, I may have uninstalled that tool when I 1st installed my software, when I got my 60D....not knowing I would need Lens Registration Tool, later/now.  I just now re-installed my software including EOS Utility and DPP and now have Len's Registration Tool installed.  I downloaded all the Lens data for all my lens and also uploaded them to my 60D Camera, using EOS Utility as you stated.   Sometimes I inadvertantly remove programs and software when I use "System Restore" on my Pc.   Anything installed after I make a "restore point", gets removed if I restore my Pc using...."that restore point." 

Thanks much you're a life saver, had you not said what you did I would have never discovered my error.   And I learned something new about my camera.  Another step on the road to discovery in learning Photography.   I've learned alot here in the last day or so, you guys are a big help, but I always learn here everyday reading the posts.

Thumbs Up my friend   Smiley Wink

"Some cameras, as well as my 60D, will do RAW to JPEG processing in Camera."

Any camera that does RAW+jpg will 'process' a RAW.  So what?  It is no where near what LR or PS (ACR9) or even DPP can do.

No matter what the conversion or correction is, in camera is not the place for it. Is it?

Why would Canon offer correction data for lenses it doesn't sell or make and doesn't even recommend their use?  Maybe I just need some more coffee this morning!  Smiley Frustrated

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Why would Canon offer correction data for lenses it doesn't sell or make and doesn't even recommend their use?  Maybe I just need some more coffee this morning!  Smiley Frustrated

No offense Obiwan, but many newbies may not know that.  How many come here for help with 3rd party lens???   I did'nt know when I got into DSLR's.  Many don't know what you know about most stuff even. 

And your statement about the better processing of RAW in post is correct, but for those who may not use post software, it's info for them.

"...  for those who may not use post software, it's info for them."

Than don't shoot RAW!  That absolutely makes no sense at all.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

You just confirmed what I just found. Smiley Happy

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
I read on the Internet a while ago (for what ever veracity you want to apply) that the direct camera to printer (PictBridge) feature and then in-camera RAW processing was driven by the emerging "non-Western" market where immediate access to computers is limited.

One can shoot RAW and also have the ability for limited editing in-camera that could be printed or sent via WiFi.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Announcements