cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R8 Is Not Reading SD Cards

comety
Apprentice

Canon R8 cannot read SD cards that it was reading just fine for weeks. It is a new camera, and I cannot detect any damage when I peek into the card slot. I am using cards that are listed as compatible on the Canon site. I also reset the camera to factory settings. The full error message is "Card cannot be accessed. Reinsert/change the card or format card with camera."

I've seen a lot of errors posted on this site about the same issue but not for the R8 specifically. I just got the camera, so I'd rather not be sending it off to a service center so soon. Is there another explanation?

9 REPLIES 9

stevet1
Authority
Authority

comety,

Have you tried re-formatting one of the cards?

I only ask because I got the same message after putting a card into a card reader. I figured the card reader corrupted the files somehow. I formatted the card and dumped that reader. Things seem to be working well now.

Steve Thomas

Thanks for your reply. I did reformat a SD card in a T6i and then put that card into the R8, to no avail. 

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Is it a full size card or a micro card with adapter. microcards don't work well in Canon's

Hi thanks for responding. I have tried both full sized SD cards and micros with no success. This is my first mirrorless. I have used various Canon DSLRs for a long time. I’ve had SD card glitches before, but I kind of feel like this is a camera issue. 

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I am using cards that are listed as compatible on the Canon site. “

Could you please state exactly what cards you are using.  

Full size or micro-SD?  What brand?  What model?  UHS-I or UHS-II?  What storage capacity?

Most importantly, where did you buy the memory card(s)?  Amazon is not a good place.

BTW, swapping memory cards between cameras will usually corrupt a memory card.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

comety
Apprentice

Hi Waddizzle, I have attempted to use a SanDisk 32GB Ultra SDHC I and one other that I left at work (I don't remember what kind... a 32GB SanDisk Extreme I think). I have a bunch of these that I bought from Amazon and BH at different times. The Ultra is the one I've been using the most. 

I teach a class, so I have multiple Canon DSLR models (T5i, T6i, T7, T7i, 70D). We frequently swap cards between them, although I usually reformat cards after we download images from them, so kids are grabbing a clean card to use. And they use them a lot. In fact, my cards are more likely to fall apart from use before they get corrupted, but, yes, I think the ones that do corrupt tend to be the micros. 

I've had the R8s for just a few weeks and have been using two of them multiple times with the same kind of cards without incident... until one of the cameras just stopped accepting any card whatsoever. I tried clearing out the card slot, but there was no debris and nothing obviously broken that I could see. 

Frankly I think I'm going to have to send out this camera to be serviced. I need it for work, and the sooner I start that process the better. I'd welcome more feedback from anyone, though, and I appreciate the feedback offered so far. 

Was there any resolution to this? Having the exact same issue. Won't read even brand new cards, no visible damage, same message.

Any insight or how you solved the problem would be much appreciated 👏 

Hello BrokenCanon12,

I'm sorry to hear that you are having issues with your camera. If you have tried multiple compatible cards and have tried formatting those cards in the camera with no success, then the camera would need to be serviced unfortunately. 

Please follow the link below to access our online repair portal to arrange for service: 

https://mycanon.usa.canon.com/signin 

If you already have a My Canon Account and your product is already registered, simply click on the “Get Repair Services” link on the left menu and follow the onscreen instructions to arrange for service for your product. 

If you have a My Canon Account and your product is not registered, you must register your product first. Click on the “Get Repair Services” link on the left menu, then click on the “Register Product” link on the right. After your product is registered, click on the “Get Repair Service” link on the left menu and follow the onscreen instructions to arrange for service for your product. 

If you do not have a My Canon Account, you will need to create one. After you create your account, click on the “Add Product” link to register your first product. After your product is registered, click on the “Get Repair Service” link on the left menu and follow the onscreen instructions to arrange for service for your product. 

Once you have completed the repair request, you will have an opportunity to print a copy of the request for your records. This request form will also contain shipping instructions and an address label that you will attach to the outside of your shipping box when mailing your equipment for repair.  

When shipping your camera, please be sure to remove the memory card and batteries. You are not required to send any accessories or manuals when shipping the camera.  Be sure to include your name, street address (no P.O. boxes, please), telephone number, email address, and a letter describing the issue with the product. 

Alternately, you may fill out an online repair request form at the following link to setup your repair using our online service. Scroll down the page and look for [Request Forms & Service Programs].

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/service-repair

As we do not provide RMA numbers for service, we suggest using a trackable and insurable service (i.e. UPS, FedEX, Priority Mail) to ship your camera.  Please package the camera very securely in a sturdy shipping box to prevent damage during shipment.

In fact, my cards are more likely to fall apart from use before they get corrupted, but, yes, I think the ones that do corrupt tend to be the micros

I've had the R8s for just a few weeks and have been using two of them multiple times with the same kind of cards without incident... until one of the cameras just stopped accepting any card whatsoever. I tried clearing out the card slot, but there was no debris and nothing obviously broken that I could see. “

I feel like it was resolved. I’m not sure what the final outcome was. 

The issues seems to have been caused by the use of micro-SD cards.  Swapping cards between bodies is a recipe for card failure, too. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements