cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R8 Battery Charging Issue

jrshoemaker
Apprentice

Hi All,

I recently purchased a new R8 from an authorized Canon dealer, and upon arrival, I placed the battery on the charger.  Eight hours later, the battery was still showing a blinking orange light for the charge light. (Blinking once per second).

I went ahead and put the battery in the camera, and tested it.  I could access the menus, and verify the battery life function test. This was fine. As soon as I try to snap an image, the screen says to replace or charge the battery - confirming the battery has not charged at all.

I have a second battery that is arriving today (I ordered an extra battery when I ordered the camera), so hopefully that one will be ok.

Has anyone else had issues with new LP-E17 batteries out of the box?  Any way to resolve this, or do I need to return the battery and/or Camera - since it came as a package? 

8 REPLIES 8

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Which authorized dealer did you purchase from? Did it include a Canon battery and Canon charger?

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

jrshoemaker
Apprentice

Hi, I purchased through BH Photo.  I bought the camera body, which came with the battery and charger. 

Yea, maybe wait to see if the second battery will function correctly.  Since this is a new item though, and if you find either a battery or the charger is faulty, do exchange for a replacement.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Agree with Ricky.  I buy all my gear from Canon or B&H.  Customer service at both is top notch.  Test the new battery and see.  If there is a problem, they will make it right quickly 👍    

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

jrshoemaker
Apprentice

Sorry - I hit the wrong button and “accepted an answer as a solution”. Not sure how to fix that. [We took care of it!]

I have been charging the battery in- camera now for a couple of hours. When I power on the camera, battery still dead. I think it’s the battery. I will confirm once new battery arrives this afternoon. 

and you’re right, I am certain BH will make it right. I’ve bought a lot of camera gear over the years from them. Never had an issue. 

Leto2626
Apprentice

Yep, mine just arrived. And when my battery was charging still after 5 hours I was already suspicious. The charge light was flashing, which I thought was normal, but turns out that's not. It didnt charge a bit, all I could do was start the camera, saw a warning and it closed down immediately. Of course I always buy spare batteries and that one charged like it supposed to. I find it very shocking they don't do quality control on their batteries when putting them with a camera.

jrshoemaker
Apprentice

Hi All,  sorry it has been a while - I just thought I would post an update on this topic.  I received my second battery (I ordered an extra), and placed that on the charger.  It charged just fine.  after that one had charged, I placed the original battery (that was not previously charging) onto the charger, and it started charging.  Once complete, tested it, and it seems to be fine.  

Not sure if it indicates an issue with the charger, or if it is still an issue with this battery, but thought that I would share my findings.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have found on occasion that when this occurs I remove and reinsert the battery in the charger. Then the battery will charge correctly. The following is from a Canon camera manual troubleshooting section:

• If (1) the battery charger or battery has a problem or (2) communication with the battery failed (with a non-Canon battery pack), the protection circuit will stop charging, and the charge lamp will blink in orange at a constant high speed. In the case of (1), unplug the charger’s power plug from the power outlet, reattach the battery, wait a few minutes, and then reconnect the power plug to the power outlet. If the problem persists, take the camera to the nearest Canon Service Center.

Announcements