cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R7 can't connect to WiFi - Camera Connect App

Alexbaransky
Contributor

Hello,

I have an R7 and I was trying to connect it to the Camera Connect app so I could import some pictures from my camera to my iPhone. I'm able to connect to the app using bluetooth, but whenever I try to import photos or use any other functionality, the app says "Switching to a faster Wifi connection" which just hangs and never completes.

IMG_0368.PNG

I've tried removing the camera from the app and re-registering it, deleted connection settings in my camera, and followed some steps to try to connect to the camera while it's off. None of these have solved my issue. Please let me know if anyone can help, thanks!

Camera Body: EOS R7 Firmware 1.4.0 (updated today)

iPhone Device/OS: iPhone 15 Pro iOS 17.3.1

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I sent my R7 in for repair, just got it back and the WiFi is working! Now when I get to that "Searching for access points" screen, it shows the "Searching" message for ~2 seconds and then shows me the camera's SSID. I was then able to successfully connect to the app on my phone. Canon repair team said the WiFi PCB was no longer functioning so they replaced it.

View solution in original post

27 REPLIES 27

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

What happens if you disable BT (temporarily) before starting the pairing?  What's bothering me is the camera is not displaying its wi-fi broadcast.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Just tried that, no change. I also reset my communication settings and tried to set up wifi from a clean slate, still hangs on that screen with the black "Searching" box after 10+ seconds.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Very odd for sure.  I also noted you were using the default camera name, which I recommend. Running v1.4.0 which has been solid.

If you select "Computer" (as the connection) does it show you your home wi-fi or nearby broadcasts?  I see my 2.4Ghz and 5G SSIDs.   

If you are not opposed, I'd reset the camera.  Its almost time to contact Canon Support.  This is not expected behavior.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Every other option (except for the wireless remote which is bluetooth) brings me to the same searching screen, I assume they all use wifi in some capacity.

Is there any way to export R7 camera/menu settings to my card? I tried looking online for some info, but I can't find anything except that the R5 has some settings export capability. I can still reset the camera if not, would just like to check before I need to do all the work to set it back up 🙃

Edit 1: I found this thread, sounds like the R7 doesn't have this feature 😢

Edit 2: I’ll wait until after the solar eclipse to reset the camera. I’d like to photograph that, and I don't really need the WiFi connectivity in the next week or so. I’ll post an update after I’ve tried resetting the camera.

Hi Rick,

I've tried resetting my R7 (basic settings and all of the "Other" settings) and I'm seeing the same behavior where the camera hangs on the "searching for access points" menu and I don't see an SSID being broadcasted. What would you suggest I do next?

Best,

Alex

Hi Rick, any advice on how to proceed? Should I reach out to Canon at this point?

I would call support so they can help you troubleshoot what could be happening here. Our team is available Monday through Saturday at 1-800-OK-CANON (800-652-2666). 

hfig
Apprentice

Hi,

I was wondering if you ever solved this issue. I was just setting up my new R7 this weekend and am having the exact same connection issue to the app that you desribed and the screenshots you showed (switching connections and searching for access points). Any luck?

Thank you!

Hi, I actually dropped this when I realized I couldn’t solve before going to the eclipse on the 8th. I plan to reset my R7 back to factory default to see if that works. Will let you know if that fixes my issue, I’ll try in the next few days.

Thanks! Hope your eclipse photos came out great!

Announcements