cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R6ii is there a way to autofocus by touching the screen (same as “af-on) button?

icrude
Apprentice

Just got the r6ii to shoot some video and I was wondering if I can tap the screen to have the autofocus focus just once just like the af-on button does? I don’t mean the touch and drag because that needs continuous focus on. 

5 REPLIES 5

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I believe that is the default camera behavior.  It is able to focus anywhere in the frame ONLY because all AF points are enabled.  The camera will only focus where enabled / active AF points are located.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

icrude
Apprentice

touching the screen does not activate autofocus in movie mode. Am I missing something?

Icrude,

Try enabling Movie Servo in your camera. It might not help with your touch focus, but it might help overall. Your camera will try to keep your subject in focus, even without half-pressing your shutter button.

I have a T8i, and if I am reading my manual correctly, you have to focus on your subject before you start recording your movie. That's when enabling Movie servo comes in handy.

Steve Thomas

I don’t want the camera constantly focusing though. I want to just focus once. Is that not possible?

icrude,

Yes. Just disable the Movie Servo in your Menu settings, and focus just once before you start recording.

You may be right and touch screen focusing is not possible in Movie Mode.

I'm not sure if any kind of auto focusing can be done once the recording has started, outside of the Movie Servo I mentioned earlier. Canon has that enabled by default.

On my camera, face and eye tracking is available.

Steve Thomas

Announcements